All Docker containers in 1 VM or 1 VM per container?

dwrighty

Feb 10, 2024
Hi all

Homelab here!

Been using Docker for about 12 months and recently started using Proxmox and gone all in with two nodes for replication and a backup server, my NAS doesn't have enough space to use for HA bit I'm working on that.

Currently I have all my Docker containers running on a single VM.

I can't find any advice/guidance on whether this is the best way to run them or have a VM for each container.

I have 32 GB in each of my Proxmox servers so RAM isn't a problem - I've given 16 GB to my VM. Would just like to have my containers running as efficiently as possible.

Could anybody suggest any guidance please?

Thanks

- D

Could anybody suggest any guidance please?
As usual: it depends. On your expectations, requirements and your personal fault tolerance.

Of course this behavior is obvious:
  • with multiple dockers in one VM: ALL services fail if this single VM fails
  • with a single docker in a separate VM: only one service fails if his VM fails
Multiple VMs create a large overhead. You need to manage/monitor/update all of them, one by one.

Me, personally, opt for independent multiple VMs. That said..., I opt also for services in VMs, not using docker at all.

Did I say "it depends"? ;-)

Reactions: dwrighty
As usual: it depends. On your expectations, requirements and your personal fault tolerance.

Of course this behavior is obvious:
  • with multiple dockers in one VM: ALL services fail if this single VM fails
  • with a single docker in a separate VM: only one service fails if his VM fails
Multiple VMs create a large overhead. You need to manage/monitor/update all of them, one by one.

Me, personally, opt for independent multiple VMs. That said..., I opt also for services in VMs, not using docker at all.

That's good advice, thanks @UdoB , I'll give it some thought.

- D

Would have also been my answer ;)

In addition to @UdoB's answer:
Keep also in mind how you would secure your ingress and egress package flows to/from the VM and to/from the containers. If you want to secure the containers from each other (e.g. one stack per host), you would have a better control over the package flow.

We use different VMs for services, depending on their security requirements.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!