[SOLVED] After upgrade today, "error not a correct xfs inode"

cdukes

Sep 11, 2015
Raleigh, NC
www.logzilla.net
I updated one of our servers today to pve-manager/4.4-12/e71b7a74 (running kernel: 4.4.40-1-pve)
I was in an ssh console and the upgrade dropped my connection after:
Code:
Setting up corosync-pve (2.4.2-1) ...
And at that point, it looks like the server just rebooted on its own and never came back up.
I have console access now and find that it won't boot because it says:
Code:
error: not a correct XFS node.
It says that about 20 times, then has this at the bottom:
Code:
error: 'password_pbkdf2' is already loaded.

I found this, which seems relevant, but I don't know how to recover the boot.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=802138;msg=31

My guess here is that your update did something with xfs and boot?

I have also uploaded the full SSH term log.

Attachments

• proxmox-xfs-boot-error.png
    proxmox-xfs-boot-error.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 7
  • proxmox-upgrade.txt
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
do you see the grub menu at all? what happens if you "press any key"? if you get dropped to a (rescue) shell, which one is it - Grub or initramfs?

are you able to boot using the "rescue mode" of the PVE 4.4 installer cdrom?

pve rescue did not work. But I was able to boot using an Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS install disk and then the rescue mode from that.
Once I booted, I repaired grub (from the menu), then mounted the drive, then re-ran update-grub.

The server now comes up and I can get to the UI. But I cannot log in. No error, just returns to the login screen.
I can't ssh in either, just drops connection.
The system logs show:
Code:
Mar 10 10:10:01 bfs CRON[6249]: PAM no modules loaded for `cron' service
Mar 10 10:10:01 bfs CRON[6249]: Permission denied

I fixed the PAM error by booting up with the Ubuntu 16 server iso again and mounting the pve/root lvm volume.
Once mounted, I ran `pam-auth-update --force`, then rebooted and everything came up.

do you see the grub menu at all? what happens if you "press any key"? if you get dropped to a (rescue) shell, which one is it - Grub or initramfs?

are you able to boot using the "rescue mode" of the PVE 4.4 installer cdrom?
hello Fabian and team, this happened to me as well - when I "press any key" everything freezes. I can't boot to Grub or a recovery shell. Please help if you have any tips. Using XFS on an HP Elitedesk Mini 705 G4, Ryzen 5 2400GE.

please open a new thread and describe your symptoms and your system:
- pveversion and how it was installed
- hardware
- when exactly which error happens

thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!