After update, no connectivity on 'main' NIC

Nov 7, 2023
Motherboard: Supermicro X12SPA-TF -> has 3 LAN ports (one is used by the onboard IPMI)
Proxmox: Version 8

The strange things that happened months ago:
When I first installed this machine a couple of months ago, I already had some trouble ensuring that all network-related functionalities remained operational after every reboot. I believed this was due to the NICs' names changing after a reboot. To prevent this, I created two files in /etc/systemd/network/ that assign specific names to interfaces, as shown below. While this resolved some instability, it wasn't completely reliable. Occasionally, after a reboot, internet connectivity would be lost, and my Proxmox UI would be inaccessible at 192.168.20.201:8006, as it normally should be. However, despite these issues, it was somewhat functional and continued to work for months.

Code:
$: cat /etc/systemd/network/90-eth0.link

[Match]
MACAddress=3c:ec:ef:99:70:2d

[Link]
Name=eth0

Code:
$: cat /etc/systemd/network/91-eth1.link

[Match]
MACAddress=3c:ec:ef:99:6d:4f

[Link]
Name=eth1

The problem after the update:
Now I can't get it to work anymore... I just performed a regular update via the Proxmox UI, and now the NIC with the IP address 192.168.20.201 has no connectivity at all; it can't be pinged, nor can it ping other devices. However, the other NIC with the IP address 192.168.50.201 is still accessible from the outside via ping. Unfortunately, I am unable to test if I can ping the outside world using this NIC because I don't know how to specify a NIC when using the ping command.

$: ip route
3.png

$: ip a

1.png

$: cat /etc/network/interfaces
2.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 3
This may not be related, but...

After an update of my Proxmox box yesterday, I had no access to the GUI or the DMZ network. I found the network lights on the NIC would not light after boot-up of the system. It "appeared" by the action of the storage drive lights that the system was working, but I couldn't get into it via the network. The IPMI/direct connection worked fine and I could get to all the underlying Debian OS/files.

Long story short, and after a 3 hour diagnostic time, I found that (probably) during the upgrade, the NIC card name assignments got completely switched around. My 3 cards ended up with 3 different assignments (enp7s0, enp8s0, enp9s0, ended up as enp5s0, enp6s0, enp7s0). So the problem was that the new assignments found using the <ip a> command were different from the assignments in the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Anyway, the fix is easy if this ends up being your problem. Just <nano> (or vi, or whatever) through the IPMI/direct CLI into the /etc/network/interfaces file, and update your magically new NIC card assignments from your <ip a> list, into the Proxmox interfaces (example screenshots of the 2 screens you'll be working with are in the above post.)

I hope this helps someone...........

P.S. I just remembered that I also removed a NVME drive from the system just before I did the upgrade. I'm thinking that maybe there is a possibility that the PCIe assignments got moved around and that might be the cause of the moving NIC card names. So if you added/removed bus components on your motherboard, this might be the cause/fix too.

Last edited:
This may not be related, but...

After an update of my Proxmox box yesterday, I had no access to the GUI or the DMZ network. I found the network lights on the NIC would not light after boot-up of the system. It "appeared" by the action of the storage drive lights that the system was working, but I couldn't get into it via the network. The IPMI/direct connection worked fine and I could get to all the underlying Debian OS/files.

Long story short, and after a 3 hour diagnostic time, I found that (probably) during the upgrade, the NIC card name assignments got completely switched around. My 3 cards ended up with 3 different assignments (enp7s0, enp8s0, enp9s0, ended up as enp5s0, enp6s0, enp7s0). So the problem was that the new assignments found using the <ip a> command were different from the assignments in the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Anyway, the fix is easy if this ends up being your problem. Just <nano> (or vi, or whatever) through the IPMI/direct CLI into the /etc/network/interfaces file, and update your magically new NIC card assignments from your <ip a> list, into the Proxmox interfaces (example screenshots of the 2 screens you'll be working with are in the above post.)

I hope this helps someone...........

P.S. I just remembered that I also removed a NVME drive from the system just before I did the upgrade. I'm thinking that maybe there is a possibility that the PCIe assignments got moved around and that might be the cause of the moving NIC card names. So if you added/removed bus components on your motherboard, this might be the cause/fix too.

In my case, this was not the problem because the NIC names were already set to a fixed name using the .link file declarations I mentioned. I already used eth0 and eth1 before, and they still are named that way.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!