Advices and comments on planned proxmox/ZFS config

sebastien chanson

Jun 5, 2023
Hi all,

I am on the process of setting a small proxmox virtualisation server (around 10 linux vms). I am new to this kind of setup I was working on vmware before.
I read throught the doc and forum which answered most of my questions there is however few shadowy points.

• Disk setups
Looking at the proxmox/ZFS doc I ordered an HP DL360-G9 (old but cheap) without raid hardware. I planned:
  • 2 disks for the OS in first RAID1 ZFS volume (SSD HPE 240GB SATA 6G Read Intensive SFF)
  • 4 disks for the data in second RAIDZ1 ZFS volume (SSD HPE 1.92TB SATA 6G Mixed Use SFF)
This is were I have few question:
  1. Reading the documentation ZFS on Linux , should I play around with volblocksize or ashift parameters to improve data/parity ratio. Maybe I should reconsider and move the RAIDZ1 in 2 RAID1 but I will lose one disk worth of space....
  2. I read few thing around ZFS loging and journal, my SSD read intensive for the OS is maybe not indicated, as the journal is write intensive. Should I look into moving the journal to the RAIDZ1 pool? Is that only possible?
As I am new to proxmox I might have understood things the wrong way and there is a better solution for my config, feel free to comment.

Thanks for your help.

Side note, references I have read but I do not feel that I have understood fully.
https://pthree.org/2012/12/06/zfs-administration-part-iii-the-zfs-intent-log/
https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-zfs-benchmark-2020

Edit:
I might have found partial answer there for RAIDZ1.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!