Advice on small server for PBS backup for an offsite location

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello Forum,

I'm running PBS on two Supermicro Servers (48 GB Ram each). Server 2 syncs datastore from server 1. So far it's working very well.

We have a second building down the street from our main office connected through a site to site VPN. I'd like to setup a small server into this location for syncing our PBS datastore as an offsite backup location. This server would only be running PBS for syncing purposes. My thought is i can initially set it up in our main office location to sync the datastore quickly on our main lan. Then afterwards move it to our offsite building for daily syncing purposes.

Can anyone provide for me suggestions on a small server I could use that also has IPMI for remote backdoor access. Based on my current backup numbers I would need 4-6 drive bays (zfs-2 or zfs-3) on the server for my datastore size. I don't mind if it runs a bit slower as long as it can run PBS and sync my backups.

I've been looking at supermicro mini towers where some appear to have IPMI built in. Would 16 GB or Ram be enough to run PBS on it or would I need 32?

https://mitxpc.com/collections/tower/Mini-Towers

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Or perhaps someone can point me to the minimum requirements needed to run PBS on a server. Again this server I'm looking to buy is my offsite (third) PBS server. I already have two in my main office as primary and backup. I'm looking for a cost effective way to have offsite syncing of my PBS datastores to a third server.

Thank you.

in general: the better the hardware, the better the experience, this is true especially for the storage part (e.g. fast ssds)

the minimum requirements can be found in the reference documentation: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#system-requirements

what exact requirements you will have, depends very much on how often/much you do backups/restores/verifies/gc/etc...

Reactions: greavette
No extra HDD for the rootfs.
Basically I have installed Proxmox VE with zfs raidz1 during install and then isntalled tha proxmox backup server on top of that.
This allows me to also run a small vm on the machine if needed. (NOTE, This vm is not running anything that would needed to be backed up, basically it is just a elasticsearch hearbeat monitor to ping some devices for uptime)

Hi @Einar Stenberg ,

How much Ram do you have in your HP microserver gen 10 plus?

And does the HP microserver gen 10 plus come with ILO installed or did you buy that extra?

Thank you.

Hi @Einar Stenberg ,

How much Ram do you have in your HP microserver gen 10 plus?

And does the HP microserver gen 10 plus come with ILO installed or did you buy that extra?

Thank you.
I have 16GB
Also, we have bought the ILO module, it is very low cost for very useful functionallity, as the server in our case is not really easily accessible (it is in our branch office in another country)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!