Advice on restoring proxmox

zL0ki

Aug 9, 2023
Hi all,

I think I bricked my proxmox server when I removed an AX210 wifi module that was installed in it during the original installation. I didn't think much of it at the time. First time linux. I no longer have the module as I sent it back this morning.

When I came to boot in the evening things didn't go so well. Could no longer connect to the gui. Even hardcoding ip etc. Getting some taint p alerts from the console and zfs pool import failures.

Networking only works locally when in the console no out or in.

From what I can tell from the console, the containers etc are all there and the filesystem is accessible. I did a few backups of some of the containers on a external usb drive prior to this.

Looks like I need to to a fresh install as I don't have the experience to rectify this.

My questions are

1) Are there configs/settings on the current system I can copy that will make things less painful?
For instance the linux bridges I set. Is there a config I can check? I looked at /etc/interfaces but they don't all seem to be there. My main issue is listing all the network virtual bridges I set up for each container and the proxmox server. Only just got things all working which was all done in stages after watching and reading guides.

2) the external drive with some of the container backups. I remember creating a pool and zfs directory I think called 'tank'. This was one of the errors during bootup about failure to import zfs. Does this mean I will have issues with using the external hard drive when I come to reconnect as external storage?

Thanks,

For instance the linux bridges I set. Is there a config I can check? I looked at /etc/interfaces but they don't all seem to be there.
Network is defined by /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf. In general a good idea to always have a recent backup of the whole /etc folder. Then you can later pick the config files you actually want to use on the new installation. Keep in mind that your important /etc/pve folder will be empty in case the PVE services aren't able to start anymore. In that case it would be a good idea to backup the /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db.

2) the external drive with some of the container backups. I remember creating a pool and zfs directory I think called 'tank'. This was one of the errors during bootup about failure to import zfs. Does this mean I will have issues with using the external hard drive when I come to reconnect as external storage?
You should verify first if you can import that pool.Would be bad to wipe the disk and then realize your pool with the backups is damaged.

What I would do, as often, when adding/removing PCIe cards, the NIC names will change so networking is bricked...
1.) attach the external disk so ZFS won't complain it can't import the pool... (and for the future...don't just unplug the external disk...a zfs pool should be exported with zpool export YourPool first)
2.) connect keyboard + display
3.) boot PVE and then login as root using the console
4.) run ip addr to get the names of your interfaces
5.) open your network config with nano /etc/network/interfaces
6.) check if your interfaces names from "ip addr" match the interfaces names in /etc/network/interfaces
7.) if they do not edit all occurrences, save the file (Ctrl+X, Y) and reboot

Last edited:
Hi Dunuin,

Thanks for reply. I was thinking last night when I open up the case and reconnected the external drives, I may have used a different usb port. Just simply plugged it in with no thought. That's on me not checking first. Lesson learnt.

1.) attach the external disk so ZFS won't complain it can't import the pool... (and for the future...don't just unplug the external disk...a zfs pool should be exported with zpool export YourPool first)

when you say attached the external disk. Is this where you run zpool import -f <name> or just connect it? I've had it connected and it still complains.

I'm hoping the interface checking will resolve the connectivity and I can work from there. If I can get back in then redoing the pool etc is a small price to pay. I will try this after work.

I got access back.

At first I didn't think changing the interfaces config file to start from (originally it started at enp3s0) enp2s0 worked. But then I forgot to add the
missing:
Code:
iface enp2s0 inet manual

After that I gained access. Thanks for the details. Saved me re-installing.

Most of the errors have gone away aswell although one still lingers which is odd as all the pools seem available.

zfs-import-scan.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pools by device scanning

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!