adding second harddisk as storrage did not work

netbone

Feb 5, 2009
I can't add the second hdd in a node to storage (see picture).

Maybe it works on cluster master, but I try to do that at a node. Here I get an error :(

Attachments

• proxmox-error.png
    proxmox-error.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 57
I can't add the second hdd in a node to storage (see picture).

Maybe it works on cluster master, but I try to do that at a node. Here I get an error :(

Hi,
the storage must be on all nodes the same in a cluster - because the storage.cfg from the master will be synced to the other nodes. This explain, why the storage appears only for seconds in the webfrontend (other post from you).

You can try a trick, but i don't know what happens if the master don't have the real storage:
Put on all nodes without the second disk an usb-stick and create a vg with the same name as the vg on the second disk on it.
Add the vg as storage - but do not select shared!
Try to create a disk on the storage (the VM has to be on the node with the harddisk). This can't work, if the master check for free space in the vg. I use this trick, for a 3-Node-Cluster where one node (not the master) don't have the drbd-storage.
This way is'nt supportet! Only for testing! Normaly the lvm's are for external storage (iscsi, fc-san) to be used from all nodes together.

Udo

I am not sure if I should do that, cause I use a productive equipment with 81 nodes ... is there no other way to make storage inside nodes avaiable to proxmox?

I've tried; but the entries got lost before I'm able to edit all 81 nodes. So is there any other way to make additional hdds inside nodes avaiable?

I am not sure if I should do that, cause I use a productive equipment with 81 nodes ... is there no other way to make storage inside nodes avaiable to proxmox?

Hi,
sure! You can simple expand your vg pve with the new storage. After that you can expand the logical-volume data (which is mounted to /var/lib/vz).
But look for security (are both raids?) - you should not expand a "save" raid with a single disk.

Udo

Hi Udo!

I have mounted the additional storage now inside the VM node. Now it's avaible as /mnt/addstorage inside the VM node. How can I add these diskspace now to all nodes? Cause I can edit only master (like described on screenshot).

Hi Udo!

I have mounted the additional storage now inside the VM node. Now it's avaible as /mnt/addstorage inside the VM node. How can I add these diskspace now to all nodes? Cause I can edit only master (like described on screenshot).

nfs?
But i'm not sure, if this is the best way. i recommend an "true" external storage - nfs, better iscsi or, if you need speed, fibre channel.
If the node with the nfs-share is down, you can't access the cluster on the web-interface...

Udo

Yes. That was my problem and I lost one VM, because my node with NFS got crashed. So I have installed 3 additional nodes with identical setup working as NFS now. If one goes down I have a 1:1 copy on 2 other nodes. I need to change storage-configuration with shell, but its the most flexible and cheapest way to add storage to all nodes. Maybe with HA on 2.0 my problems are blown away :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!