Adding locations for backups?

natedogg

Sep 25, 2023
Looking for a little advice on how I could configure backups.

System 1:
4TB Intel S4510 (proxmox ve and vm storage)

System 2:
500gb m.2 SATA (proxmox ve and vm storage)
1.6TB Micron 5100 Max

Currently the 5100 Max is unused, but I was thinking of moving my VMs from system 2 over to that.

I was thinking of using one or two of the drives as backup for redundancy with my backups. Is there a way to expose the lvm storage to the network? For example, the 4TB drive seems somewhat wasted since my VMs don’t use that much storage, so it would be nice to use a portion of it to host backups or media.

I’m just just unsure of how to expose/partition/mount these to the network if needed.

For backups its generally considered following the so called 3 2 1 rule, which means
  • 3 copies of your data
  • on 2 different types of media
  • 1 in a different location
There are several possibilities having lvm storage available over the network (for example over NFS), however if you want to mirror drives you should look if ZFS is not more suited for your needs since this supports RAID configurations.

I may speak out a bias here but have you considered using a Proxmox Backup Server? It supports backup storage over the network on redundant disks out of the box.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!