Adding ESXi Storage Causes ESXi to Become Unresponsive

sheldor

Mar 19, 2024
Idaho
prepareidaho.com
Let me preface this with the fact that we just updated our Proxmox host this morning.

Last week after adding the <soap> parameters to ESXi's /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml file, we were able to migrate some VMs to Proxmox. After updating our Proxmox host, we had a bunch of 'Find By Inventory Path' tasks kick off in ESXi. Once we disabled the ESXi storage on the Proxmox host, ESXi became responsive again.

esxi_tasks.png

When we tried to turn the ESXi storage back on to start a new migration, we got the error: failed to spawn fuse mount, process exited with status 65280 (500)

Only after re-running /etc/init.d/hostd restart on the ESXi host were we able to connect the ESXi storage to Proxmox again, but the 'Find By Inventory Path' error started again in ESXi.

Any recommendations to get the Find By Inventory Path call to stop running 10 times a second would be appreciated. :D

In the same boat here, I was able to migrate a few vm's last week, but after the 8.2 update now it seems to flood ESXi with these Find by Inventory Path every second, and it does become sluggish, not unresponsive. I've had a migrate running for about 4 hours now, the import tool is just stuck at

transferred 0.0 B of 512.0 GiB (0.00%)

but I can see a steady stream of traffic from the ESXi to the Proxmox, so I'm not sure if its doing anything or just stuck in a loop. I'll give it another hour before i pull it. 512GB should have transferred in about 15 minutes, but I know that sometimes things take longer for.... some reason.

Update: After 7 hours it has only copied 0.1% so I pulled it. Running ovftool from the node then importovf works fine so that was the fix for me.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!