Adding a second network card

Joseph Chrzempiec

Jun 9, 2016
Hello I'm so confused But i need to add a second network card for a VM just to go to that network card. I looked online and youtube so far everything i found is not for setting up a second network card. Maybe I'm phrasing it wrong. I really need help. Can someone please help me? I don't know the steps to setup.

Joseph

Hi,
on the host, create a new bridge that uses the new network card's interface. Then for the VM, edit the virtual NIC (in the Hardware tab in the GUI) and select the new bridge for it.

Hello how can i create a new bridge? I'm sorry I'm kinda still new to proxmox and linux programming. When i go to the PVE i can see the network area and when i click on create there is a linux bridge and a OVS bridge. Which one? I'm a little confused.

Joseph

I suppose you could use both, but I suggest using a Linux bridge. For the Bridge ports you put in the interface name of your new network card (it's often something like ensN or enoN).

hello i mange to set everything up and it looks like it is all good i rebooted the server i set the first VM with the second network card But for some odd reason i can not boot the vm. I will include some photo's. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. It won't even let me edit it.

bridgefail1-bridge.png
bridgefail1.png

The error stats bridge failed.

Joseph

When you specify the CIDR for vmbr1, you also need to specify the subnet, with a /N at the end (see how it is for vmbr0 and also here).

Also note that the address you specify here as part of the CIDR will be the address of the host on the bridge. The address of the VM has to be configured inside the VM. So, depending on your use case, you might not need to set the CIDR here.

If that doesn't help, could you post the full log of the failed VM 100 - Start task?

Hello Fabian_e That so worked. Thank you very much.

Now on to my next problem how to setup a second hard drive For a backup system. of a VM.

Joseph

Hello Fabian_e That so worked. Thank you very much.

Now on to my next problem how to setup a second hard drive For a backup system. of a VM.

Joseph
You first need to partition and format it with a file system. Then mount it somewhere; to make sure it mounts on every boot, create an entry in /etc/fstab. After that, you can add it as a directory storage to PVE (in Datacenter > Storage > Add > Directory) select the mount point and use content type VZDump backup file.

is there a way, to et up two or more vmbr's on different Ip ranges, with each their own gateway ?
when I want to add it, the system doesn't let me.
The idea is, to try to have one particular VM, connect to this one, while ssh should still run over first vmbr
or is there another way, to link another network port also to the vm directly ?

Hi,
is there a way, to et up two or more vmbr's on different Ip ranges, with each their own gateway ?
when I want to add it, the system doesn't let me.
The idea is, to try to have one particular VM, connect to this one, while ssh should still run over first vmbr
or is there another way, to link another network port also to the vm directly ?
wouldn't it be enough to configure the gateway within the VM rather than on the second bridge itself?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!