Add user/group account with ssh access and root privileges

Gonzalo

Jul 26, 2016
Following
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/User_Management#Linux_PAM_standard_authentication
and
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/User_Management#Administrator_Group
I am able to create an user with full admin privileges through web interface.

However, when I ssh into nodes of the cluster, I can not execute commands like "qm" for unlocking a VM.

I would need the users from the admin group to be able to execute this "superuser commands" without giving them the root user credentials.

Thanks a lot.
Gonzalo.

Sudo can be configured to allow a subset of commands for groups/users.

I've managed to do it. Here you have the commands I have used.

Code:
useradd gonzalo
passwd gonzalo
groupadd special
usermod -a -G special gonzalo

Code:
nano /etc/sudoers.d/pvecommands

## Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias PVE_COMMANDS = /usr/sbin/qm
#
## Members of the special group may gain some privileges
%special ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: PVE_COMMANDS​

Finally, you have to register the user in the web interface too.

If you have a cluster, you have to register on all nodes the user through the command line.

Good example is also the zfs sudo configuration file. It includes also parameters to the commands, so you can restrict it further.

If you want to use root commands, you'll probably also want to install `sudo` (`apt install sudo -y`), and add your user to the `sudo` group.

In a root shell:

Bash:
usermod -aG sudo Alex

# You can undo this with:
# deluser Alex sudo

You will need to re-log-in with your user for the changes to take effect.

You can confirm with:
Bash:
$ id
# uid=1000(Alex) gid=1000(Alex) groups=1000(Alex),27(sudo),1001(admin)
#                                                 ^^^^^^^^

This works because `%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL` is already in `/etc/sudoers`, but it doesn't immediately take effect on existing login session.

Many Proxmox-specific programs are found in `/usr/sbin`, so make sure to add that to your path:

Bash:
# In your ~/.zshrc, or equivalent

export PATH="/usr/sbin:$PATH"

Last edited:
Keep in mind that with sudo, you will not have good tab completion in your shell for pve commands. This will only work for root:

Code:
test@proxmox-test:~$ sudo qm list <tab> -bash: compgen: warning: -C option may not work as you expect
ipcc_send_rec[1] failed: Unknown error -1
ipcc_send_rec[2] failed: Unknown error -1
ipcc_send_rec[3] failed: Unknown error -1
Unable to load access control list: Unknown error -1
.-bash: compgen: warning: -C option may not work as you expect
ipcc_send_rec[1] failed: Unknown error -1
ipcc_send_rec[2] failed: Unknown error -1
ipcc_send_rec[3] failed: Unknown error -1
Unable to load access control list: Unknown error -1

Reactions: Kingneutron
Interesting. Is there any way to resolve that?
Besides the obivous: don't use sudo, no. You can also try to restrict shell usage and do everything via API/GUI with a non-priviledged user. qm and pct are fine in a single-system, yet total useless in a clustered environment. You need a good pve cli client for that.

Aw well, thanks for mentioning this restriction. Most users should probably just be using the default `root` user.

Perhaps I'm just being too puritanical by cargo-culting the "don't use root" dogma haha

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!