Add USB device to VM by serial number?

jenssen99

Aug 7, 2019
Hello,

I have multiple USB devices on my Proxmox host, two of them have the same Vendor and Product/Device number, so this is not working good when adding them via "USB Vendor/Device ID". Adding by "Use USB Port" does not same to work either, because sometimes the ports are recognized by 1-1, 1-2 etc, and sometimes 2-1, 2-2....

Is there not a way to add a USB device via the Serial number? Combined with the Vendor and Product/Device number this should always be unique. I can create a device rule this way, so that each time the USB devices are recognized by the same name under /dev/. But is it somehow possible to add USB devices to a VM this way?

Thanks

Reactions: skwat
@jenssen99 Did you manage to passthrough those devices by serial number? Could you please share your solution, I'm facing the same problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!