Add new hard disk through GUI

smcnallie

Mar 19, 2012
I have recently started a new job and have inherited a Proxmox box with a Windows Small Business Server 2011 virtual machine. I know very little about Proxmox so i'm trying to learn as I go. There is 800 gb of storage free on the server and I want to add 300GB of that to the Windows VM. I think I know what to do but I have a few questions about it before I try.

Here is the current Hard disk setup. In Windows, these show as three different drive letters. I want to add a 4th.
proxmox1.png

Here is the screen to add the hard disk. Is it OK that it says, "no ide devices available", or does it need to have an option for this to work? If I am able to add this, will the VM need to be rebooted for the drive to show in Windows?
proxmox2.png

Thanks for the help!

you can use only 4 ide devices. I assume you got 3 disks and one cdrom. why don´t you use virtio for your hard disks?

you can use only 4 ide devices. I assume you got 3 disks and one cdrom. why don´t you use virtio for your hard disks?

By using Virtio, do you just mean select Virtio from the "Bus:" drop down? If so, do I use "Device: Virtio 0:0"? Looks simple enough. Will this require a reboot?

yes, you can mix ide and virtio without problems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!