Add a new hard disk to container

sitedesign

Jun 16, 2008
I have a container set-up which is our backup service.

I need to add an extra hard drive (500GB to 1TB) to the HW node then allocate the space to the container.

Should I just partitioned the new disk on the HW node as LVM2 then mount it with bind into the container or is there a special procedure to follow?

Or should I just mount it inside the container direct?

Regards Peter King

Thanks for that.
Since I only needed the spare hard drive for that one container and not the others I decided to allocate the block device to the VM using:
vzctl set 101 --devices b:8:16:rw --devices b:8:17:rw --save
then adding to the fstab inside the container:
/dev/sdb1 /backup defaults 0 0

That seemed to do the trick for our basic requirements. The bind mount mentioned above will probably come into play with some of the other nodes in the cluster though since the added hard drive might be shared by several nodes.

Thanks again for you help dietmar.

I will chase up the budget request next week to see if we can get some € for you guys.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!