Accessing VM via IP Address

thusband

Jun 30, 2022
I created a VM and installed EndeavourOS. I can access it through the console but can't on another home network laptop. I'm pretty sure I have QEMU installed. Shouldn't I be able to run the OS using the IP address that shows in the summary of the VM?

I'm probably missing something very simple

Thanks for any hints.

Hi,

You have to check if the network on your laptop is the same as the VM connected to, and test the ping between your laptop and the VM.

Reactions: Ramalama
Ideally yes. However its very easy to misconfigure networks. Can I see the
/etc/network/interfaces of your proxmox and ip addr of both host and guest?

Hi,

You have to check if the network on your laptop is the same as the VM connected to, and test the ping between your laptop and the VM.
Yes, everything is on my home network and I can get into another VM that has Home Assistant. Would there be a port I need to add to the IP address?

It depends how you want to access it, ssh or remote desktop, if remote desktop, then via vnc or parsec or what?
If ssh, then make sure that ssh is running.
Not sure if EndeavourOS uses a firewall that block everything incoming by default, you have to figure that out.

If there isn't any firewall, then can you ping the vm at least?

Reactions: Moayad
Thanks all but this is all way over my head right now. I'll live with using the console until I understand it all a little more.

I figured it would be as easy as Home Assistant was.

Thx again.

Thanks all but this is all way over my head right now. I'll live with using the console until I understand it all a little more.

I figured it would be as easy as Home Assistant was.

Thx again.
It would be way easier for us to help you if we know more about your setup

For example cat /etc/network/interfaces and ip addr could give us clues what we are looking at?

Edit: Also cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf whould be interesting

Last edited:
It would be way easier for us to help you if we know more about your setup

For example cat /etc/network/interfaces and ip addr could give us clues what we are looking at?

Edit: Also cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf whould be interesting
Yes I certainly understand but I'm struggling just getting the initial information.

Yes I certainly understand but I'm struggling just getting the initial information.
Okay let's ask differently, how are you accessing home assistant?

Means that you know the IP of home assistant at least?

So as you found out the ip of home assistant, you can find out the ip of endeavour os.

Then you can simply ping that ip.
ping 192.168.xxx.xxx
On your Windows terminal on your pc...

Okay let's ask differently, how are you accessing home assistant?

Means that you know the IP of home assistant at least?

So as you found out the ip of home assistant, you can find out the ip of endeavour os.

Then you can simply ping that ip.
ping 192.168.xxx.xxx
On your Windows terminal on your pc...
Yes, exactly. The IP that shows in the summary of the HA VM plugged into the browser pulls it up but the IP that shows in the EOS VM doesn't connect.

Yes, exactly. The IP that shows in the summary of the HA VM plugged into the browser pulls it up but the IP that shows in the EOS VM doesn't connect.
As you can open the endeavour os via console, you can open simply inside endeavour os, the terminal and simply type: ip a

Then post the output here :)

Reactions: Philipp Hufnagl
Is it this one you are looking for??

In left side, click you VM EndeavourOS
In the top panel, (just under Create VM) click >_Console

I also install NoMachine, because you can copy/past text (not really possible in noVNC)
See my post her:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-make-copy-paste-on-vnc-kvm-in-proxmox.98404/post-573033
Yes, I've been doing that but I want to be able to call it up using the IP in any browser on any of my home network browsers. I'm able to do that with Home Assistant.

NoMachine looks interesting. Copying, pasting and keeping track of open tabs is a pain. Then some screens won't copy.

Wait. Are you opening the IP ove EndeverousOS in the browser expecting to get a GUI the same way Home Assistant provides a website? That is not going to work.

As you can open the endeavour os via console, you can open simply inside endeavour os, the terminal and simply type: ip a

Then post the output here :)
Yes, but I can't copy the output from the console. It doesn't copy with either ctrl > enter or right clicking.

Wait. Are you opening the IP ove EndeverousOS in the browser expecting to get a GUI the same way Home Assistant provides a website? That is not going to work.
I thought I'd get the EndeavourOS dashboard like I see in the Proxmox console. If that isn't possible then I've sent everybody on a wild goose chase and I'm sorry.

I thought I'd get the EndeavourOS dashboard like I see in the Proxmox console. If that isn't possible then I've sent everybody on a wild goose chase and I'm sorry.
192.168.1.52 is your ip.
Go to your computer/laptop whatever, open the terminal and: ping 192.168.1.52

Its not a "dashboard" what you see, its a normal Desktop Environment (like you have on your Laptop). You can connect to your Home assistant that way because it provides a website to connect to. EndeverOS does not provide something like that.

There are ways to configure something similar to what you are expecting but they would be quite some work

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!