Access to VM from VNC Viewer ?

mathais86

Jan 30, 2023
Hi, is there a standard way to connect from any computer to my ProxMox VM machines with VNC Viewer ?
I don't want to use ProxMox Web Interface.
Do I have to install a VNC server on each virtual machine?

Or, is ProxMox able to offer me the possibility of connecting to my VMs?

Thank you.

Hi, I just tried locally, and the wiki instructions work for me. Could you please be more specific as to why the instructions do not work for you? Are you getting an error message from the VNC viewer?

Could you post your VM config (qm config <VMID>, replacing <VMID> with your correct VMID)? What viewer, host and port are you using to connect to the VNC server? Might the port be blocked by some firewall?

"qm config" doesn't works...
I have to use nano :

Code:
args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:77
boot: order=ide0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
ide0: local-mb:100/vm-100-disk-0.qcow2,backup=0,size=16G
kvm: 1
machine: pc-i440fx-7.1
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=7.1.0,ctime=1675118208
name: Win1
net0: e1000=0E:67:D4:25:C0:9B,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win7
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=371e8263-3278-495d-a116-84f1515aded7
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 5863c666-edfd-41b2-9b79-530b67277da3

Last edited:
This looks OK. After restarting the VM, you should be able to connect via VNC on port 5977 of your Proxmox VE node. But be careful, this means anyone who can reach that port can access your VM console!

If it still doesn't work, could you provide the missing information? See:

Could you please be more specific as to why the instructions do not work for you? Are you getting an error message from the VNC viewer?

Could you post your VM config (qm config <VMID>, replacing <VMID> with your correct VMID)? What viewer, host and port are you using to connect to the VNC server? Might the port be blocked by some firewall?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!