A bootable clone of the PVE Host – How To?

speedbird

Nov 3, 2017
Dear fellow proxmoxers,

I do have multiple backups of my VMs distributed to various storage services, like within the local network and on cloud services, so that when a VM crashes or needs to be restored, I do have options.

However, when it comes to the hypervisor itself, the restore process would be much more tedious because there's not just proxmox which needs to be configured, so just saving the PVE folder doesn't cover it all.

I have for instance a netdata instance running with custom alarms and stuff, there's an OpenVPN service running to allow only VPN users to access the host directly, there's Postfix configured to send mails via external SMTP servers and much more which all needs to be manually configured should the host system die.

So I wonder, what would be the best approach to have like a bootable backup of the whole system which is automatically dumped like every night or so and would allow me to do a speedily recovery of the whole system or – if that's totally not possible – how could a backup routine look like, that covers basically everything installed and configured on the system that is – when needed – suited for a very speedy and easy recovery.

I thought the PBS might be the solution but turns out it's also not really for proxmox itself but also just for the VMs and containers.

My thought behind all that would also be that this backup scenario at best should be an option to like easily port the current proxmox setup to a new machine should I, for example, upgrade to a new server with better hardware or something the like.

So I'm curious which solutions do you have in place to do such things and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!