8.0 Installer Stuck Waiting for /dev

Nollimox

Mar 9, 2023
Well, it seems that this problem continues as I had found this thread from 2014: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/s...l-with-dev-to-be-fully-populated-error.20211/

However, in my case, I am not using Grub...the installer recognizes that my hardware requires Systemd. I am away from home since we have a long holiday weekend in the U.S. So, I cannot share exactly the error. However, I did try pressing "e" when that boot cmdline got underline...nothing happened. How does one get to the cmdline prompt? My hardware also has a Xeon processor as the thread above, which is a Dell Precision 5820 with Xeon w-2135.

I have been looking through Proxmox's installation guide...the Dell Precision 5820 with Xeon w-2135 and 126GB RAM clearly meet the requirements:

2.1.1 Minimum Requirements, for Evaluation
These minimum requirements are for evaluation purposes only and should not be used in production.
• CPU: 64bit (Intel EMT64 or AMD64)
• Intel VT/AMD-V capable CPU/Mainboard for KVM full virtualization support
• RAM: 1 GB RAM, plus additional RAM needed for guests
• Hard drive
• One network card (NIC)

Please help me understand why the installation failed...this is the first time I ever installed an OS or app that it failed. Despite not completely new to the virtual environment...I had to get rid of the Dell Precision 3630 because of the coffee lake problems and Proxmox's 8.0 version. But, it seems that 8.0 had other issues.

According to the installation guide:

Proxmox VE Administration Guide 21 / 546
If the installation failed, check out specific errors on the second TTY(‘CTRL + ALT + F2’) and ensure that
the systems meets the minimum requirements. If the installation is still not working, look at the how to get
help chapter.

So, when I return home later today, I shall see what this (‘CTRL + ALT + F2’) reveals.

Please, can someone confirm whether Proxmox 8.04 requires a 3D graphics card? The install guide doesn't mention this but that makes the install process not clear.

If one select advance option, one can get install console mode - nomodeset; however, it's still a hit or miss...wondered why the installation guide didn't mention this clearly.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 2.04.05 PM.png

So, I got it to install but it has not booted on its own...either stuck on sound card despite sound is integrated, or stuck on thinking the graphic card has sound....

HELP PLEASE...why booting up Proxmox on Dell Precision with Xeon w-2135 made the earliest 2017 stuck on this?
The booting up doesn't get to completion...

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 4.04.33 PM.png

So, I tried Proxmox 7.3 same exact issue...see below. it seems to suggest either 3D graphics is an additional hardware requirement,
or hardware with Xeon cpu processor requires a 3D non-Nvida graphics card. I am using a 2D graphics because the computer doesn't need fancy graphics card and the Nvidia NVS 310 that is compatible with all Dell Precision 5820

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 6.12.20 PM.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!