3 Node cluster HA Questions

megap

Oct 1, 2014
Hi all!

I just configured a 3 node Cluster, where 2 nodes have drbd shared storage where 1 Virtual machine can migrate between node1 and node2.
Node3 is running 1 virtual machine but is not needed HA on it, so Node3 is used for quorum.

My cluster config is:

Code:
Cluster Status for mycluster @ Wed May  6 13:18:31 2015Member Status: Quorate

Member Name                                                     ID   Status
 ------ ----                                                     ---- ------
 node1                                                           1 Online, rgmanager
 node2                                                           2 Online, Local, rgmanager
 node3                                                           3 Online

Service Name                                              Owner (Last)                                              State
 ------- ----                                              ----- ------                                                       -----
 pvevm:100                                                 node1                                                         started

Node 1 and Node2 are equipped with an idrac7 so I used it for configure fencing.

My cluster.conf is;

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?><cluster config_version="15" name="mycluster">
  <cman expected_votes="2" keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey" two_node="0"/>
  <fencedevices>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1-&gt;" ipaddr="192.168.1.212" login="root" name="node1-drac" passwd="root" secure="1" power_wait="2"/>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1-&gt;" ipaddr="192.168.1.211" login="root" name="node2-drac" passwd="root" secure="1" power_wait="2"/>
  </fencedevices>
<fence_daemon clean_start="0" post_fail_delay="60" post_join_delay="30"/>
  <clusternodes>
    <clusternode name="node1" nodeid="1" votes="1">
      <fence>
        <method name="1">
          <device name="node1-drac"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="node2" nodeid="2" votes="1">
      <fence>
        <method name="1">
          <device name="node2-drac"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="node3" nodeid="3" votes="1"/>
  </clusternodes>
  <rm>
    <pvevm autostart="1" vmid="100"/>
  </rm>
</cluster>

fence_ls

Code:
fence_tool lsfence domain
member count  3
victim count  0
victim now    0
master nodeid 2
wait state    none
members       1 2 3
I have two questions/problems with fencing:

1º- When I disconnect the ethernet cable from node1, it is rebooted by fencing and vmid=100 is migrated to node2, at this point is ok. But when node1 is rebooted (I connected again the ethernet) some times I have an error at startup:
Code:
Global setup... [OK]
Loading Kernel modules ... [OK]
Mounting configfs... [OK]
Starting cman... [OK]
waiting for quorum... timed-out waiting for cluster FAILED
When this occurs, I have to log to node and execute:
Code:
/etc/init.d/cman restart
/etc/init.d/pve-cluster restart
activate rmanager from promox GUI
Why this happens? How can avoid this 'disconnection' an wait for quorum ok at startup? Do you advise to execute restart cman/pve-cluster /rmanager on each reboot?

2º- My biggest problem that I need to know if is possible to do and what I need to do it: Automigrate the virtual machine between node1 and node 2 (and vice versa) when a sudden power down occurs. Fencing and automigrate virtual machines with ethernet problems works fine because idrac fencing is working, but I don't know how to manage when a not controlled power downs occurs.

Someone can help me?

Best regards.

Hello.

Nobody can help me with point 2?

2º- My biggest problem that I need to know if is possible to do and what I need to do it: Automigrate the virtual machine between node1 and node 2 (and vice versa) when a sudden power down occurs (pull power cord, power supply dies...) . Fencing and automigrate virtual machines with ethernet problems works fine because idrac fencing is working, but I don't know how to manage when a not controlled power downs occurs.

Best regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!