2U 4 nodes 24 drives suggestions

itlinux

Jan 7, 2024
Hello guys, I got this new server and each node has 6 Drives, and I will have one NVME for the OS installation. Should I use ceph or ZFS? What raid do you guys suggest in case of ZFS.

Each drive is 1TB SAS enterprise SSD.

Hi itlinux,
Should I use ceph or ZFS?
Without context there is no 'should'.

What will you be using the server for? Keep in mind that Ceph is a cluster-FS, and likes to have three or more nodes. In addition to ZFS, LVM could be an option as well.

Depends on use case.

I don't use HW RAID, so it's either ZFS for stand-alone or Ceph for cluster (3-node minium but I use 5-node).

In either case, I use 2 small storage devices to mirror Proxmox via ZFS RAID-1. Then rest of storage for data/VMs.

Thank you the plan is to use nvme for the os and the 6 drives with Ceph 6 drives each server 4 nodes is what I have. Plus qnap with 14 drives

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!