[SOLVED] 2nd node backup in 4.3 cluster are not executed

nowrap

Nov 2, 2016
Hello,
i've 2 proxmox 4.3-9 cluster setups with 2 servers each.
Everything is working as expected.

Only the via web gui configured backups on the 2nd node are not executed on each cluster.
I could not pinpoint the problem yet.

The /etc/pve/vzdump.cron files look similar. Here is one example:
Code:
# cluster wide vzdump cron schedule
# Automatically generated file - do not edit

PATH="/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

0 1 * * 1,3,5,7     root vzdump --storage backup --compress lzo --all 1 --mode snapshot --mailnotification always --mailto ***@***.de --quiet 1 --node host1
0 1 * * 2,4,6       root vzdump --storage backup --compress lzo --all 1 --mode snapshot --mailnotification always --mailto ***@***.de --quiet 1 --node host2

The /etc/pve/storage.cfg looks like:
Code:
lvm: vg0
        vgname vg0
        content images

dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        maxfiles 0
        content iso,images,rootdir,vztmpl

dir: backup
        path /mnt/backup_***
        maxfiles 4
        shared 0
        content backup

/mnt/backup_*** exists on every node on both clusters.

Running the the command for the 2nd node directly in the shell, just finishes quite fast without an output:
Code:
root@host1:/root > vzdump --compress lzo --storage backup --all 1 --mode snapshot --mailnotification always --mailto ***@***.de --quiet 1 --node host2
root@host1:/root >

What is wrong with my config? Or how can i debug this?

Regards
nowrap

Running the the command for the 2nd node directly in the shell, just finishes quite fast without an output:
Code:
root@host1:/root > vzdump --compress lzo --storage backup --all 1 --mode snapshot --mailnotification always --mailto ***@***.de --quiet 1 --node host2
root@host1:/root >

What is wrong with my config? Or how can i debug this?

this is to be expected, the "-node" option tells vzdump to only run if executed on that node (this is needed because the cron jobs are defined on all nodes and synchronized via /etc/pve, but should only be executed on the correct node).

Reactions: nowrap
Ok! I guess, this was too obvious for me ... ;)

I started the command now on host2 and it is still running. So far so good.

But why is the cron not executed automatically?
And how can i debug this?

On host2 the vzdump.cron is identically. So it is correctly synchronised.

are you sure it is not executed? you have different weekdays configured for both nodes ;)

you can also double check that the symlink in /etc/cron.d exists on node2 ("/etc/cron.d/vzdump" should point to "/etc/pve/vzdump.cron")

I guess, you are right again!

The symlinks exists:
vzdump -> /etc/pve/vzdump.cron

Scrolling down and searching the task grid in the web gui reveals the execution.
My fault ;(
So i've to check, my the reporting mail wasn't send or received.
And why i thought the content wasn't rising.

Sorry, for bothering you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!