2nd local storage in cluster slave-node

KJH

Nov 3, 2009
Hello,
i want to implement a 2nd raid as a local storage on a cluster slave-node. Only this one node in the cluster have the additional raid.

I had successfully created an LVM via pvcreate and vgcreate.
When the node ist not in my cluster i can implement the LVM into proxmox.
As slave node i can´t use or implement it via the web frontend.

Is there a way to run kvm-clients on different local volumes of cluster-slave-nodes?

Thanks

All storages need to be available on all nodes (even if they are not shared - for example see 'local' storage) - thats the concept.

I have some troubles to understand that.
There are two servers in a cluster:

• Master: 1 HD
  • Slave: 2 HDs
You write "All storages need to be available on all nodes", does that mean that it's not possible to have a local storage for vms on the 2nd HD of a slave server, when the master has only 1 HD?

You write "All storages need to be available on all nodes",

Each storage has a unique identifier, for example 'store1'. Proxmox assumes that there is a 'store1' on any of those servers. Imagine 'store1' is a directory storage, so that directory should be available on all servers.

does that mean that it's not possible to have a local storage for vms on the 2nd HD of a slave server, when the master has only 1 HD?

no.

Thanks! I understand that now...

Do you have a suggestion how I can use the 2nd HD on the slave server?
Should I create a "fake" volume on the master (File loopback or so) with the same name?

Do you know the storage concepts of VMware vSphere (ESX Server)? There you can create local volumes on each ESX host for VM storage. vCenter knows when you store a VM on the local storage and disables features which are not possible with such a local stored VM (f.e. vmotion). It would be nice to have the possibility to have different local storage volumes on each cluster member in PVE (like in VMware)...

Thanks! I understand that now...

Should I create a "fake" volume on the master (File loopback or so) with the same name?

Do you know the storage concepts of VMware vSphere (ESX Server)? There you can create local volumes on each ESX host for VM storage. vCenter knows when you store a VM on the local storage and disables features which are not possible with such a local stored VM (f.e. vmotion). It would be nice to have the possibility to have different local storage volumes on each cluster member in PVE (like in VMware)...

You can try this: in slave:

1) Umount /var/lib/vz
2) Create a new LVM phisical volume in the new disc
3) Add this LVM phisical volume in volume group
4) Resize the logical volume

Now you have a bigfer local storage in slave node

Depends how you want to use the disks (mounted filesystem or LVM). If you want to use them as directory storage simply create the directory on both nodes. With LVM you need to create a fake volume group.

You can try this: in slave:

1) Umount /var/lib/vz
2) Create a new LVM phisical volume in the new disc
3) Add this LVM phisical volume in volume group
4) Resize the logical volume

Now you have a bigfer local storage in slave node
Thats a good idea. But if I do that, I don't see the size of this storage on the Storage configuration page.

Depends how you want to use the disks (mounted filesystem or LVM). If you want to use them as directory storage simply create the directory on both nodes. With LVM you need to create a fake volume group.
I created a "fake" volume group on the master server with a loopback device and added it to pve with the Storage admin page. But there is the same problem like written above, I only see the size of this fake volume group on the master server.

So it looks like its not possible to have different local storage sizes on master and slave. Is this something that is planned for a future release of pve?

Thats a good idea. But if I do that, I don't see the size of this storage on the Storage configuration page.

I created a "fake" volume group on the master server with a loopback device and added it to pve with the Storage admin page. But there is the same problem like written above, I only see the size of this fake volume group on the master server.

So it looks like its not possible to have different local storage sizes on master and slave. Is this something that is planned for a future release of pve?

you can have different sizes, why not? currently you have to take a look on each node if you want to know the size of the local storage (we think we can improve this in future).

you can have different sizes, why not? currently you have to take a look on each node if you want to know the size of the local storage (we think we can improve this in future).
Oh yes, sorry! I was confused because I only saw the size of the master volume. Would be great if this can be improved... Thanks!

So finally I created a "fake" volume on the master server which has the same name as the volume group of the 2nd HD in the slave server. I added this storage as LVM group to the Storage admin of PVE and can create VMs on this 2nd HD of the slave server. For me, this thread is solved.

Thanks a lot for all quick answers. PVE and his community is great!! =)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!