245: Can't open /scripts/zfs. Proxmox fails to boot

dva411

Feb 13, 2024
I installed Clevis on my proxmox host in order to unlock an encrypted external USB storeage drive at boot. I put Tang on an old raspberry pi. I rebooted 3 times, and it worked perfectly from the start. Then I shut down my host, and performed a cold boot. I received a bunch of errors in my terminal. First being "245 Cant open /scripts/zfs. The bottom line of my terminal reads "Kernal offset... Relocation range... Kernel Panic...Not syncing....".

So here is what led to the issue

1) First I installed the wrong package. I followed some instructions from Oracle. and Installed <<sudo apt install -y clevis clevis-luks clevis-udisks2 clevis-dracut>>> I didn't know what dracut was at the time.... I received some error messages about a an iscsiuio socket not existing....so when I checked the status of iscsiuio on my system it seemed the socket was enabled but the isciuio service was disabled. It said vendor default was enabled so I enabled it. Well, actually, I'm not certain what service I enabled I checked 4 items with systemctl.....(iscsiuio and iscsid - both services and sockets). I just looked in my systemd folder and it seems iscsid has some dependencies that were updated today. perhaps thats what I enabled I may have updated it by mistake...

2) After that didn't work to get through the errors on the clevis install, I did some research on dracut. I realized there was a clevis initramfs version that I should have installed instead. I uninstalled the 3 clevis packages. I reinstalled clevis, including the clevis-initramfs package. However I did not disable the iscsiuio service that I enabled

3) I configured Clevis and Tang. Then I assumed I needed to update initramfs (based on seeing that in the Oracle docs they updated dracut), so I did an update-initramfs -u

4) It appeared to work the first 3 times when I executed a reboot. However, I didn't see any indication on the terminal of what was happening. However, it did appear to me that it was rebooting, as my drives would power down and power up. When I actually shut down and booted from cold boot, got the errors described.

Thoughts:

I had entries in crypttab and fstab to mount the USB drive manually by typing in the password at boot (my setup before installing clevis). I left the same config. My crypttab has 'none' for the password and creates a devmapper name that I use to mount in fstab. Should have I changed any of that setup?

Or is it some issue with clevis? Or perhaps the dracut package has some leftovers? Or is it the fact I enabled iscsiuio.service and left it enabled when I updated initramfs?

FYI the encrypted is not my proxmox boot drive, nor does it store any volumes, its just a USB Data Drive. My boot drives and volume storeage are zfs, unencrypted.

Questions:

1) Is it possible to recover, and if so, what are the exact steps? i believe I've successfully chrooted into the file system using the proxmox debug installer and importing my zfs and mounting required folder. I just have not a clue on what to do to fix this..

3) FYI I tried booting from the prior proxmox kernel (6.5.11-8) ... It took me to a blank black screen and hung. both 6.5.11-8 and ...6.5.13-1 images have dates as of today. when I do an initramfs$(uname-r).img from chroot, it indicates i'm using 11-8. But also tells me command not found. I find that confusing because its 13-1 that gives me the errors. 11-8 goes to a blank screen. I used the -u option only when I ran update-initramfs (so I thought it was only updating the current version) I really have no knowledge of kernals, versions, etc. This is out of my realm. I just need to get back to a working kernel. I wish I could use systemctl to disable both clevis and iscsid/iscsiuio(or at least look to see which one I might have changed.) I guess its not possible to update the services in chroot. I really don't have the knowledge to know what to try....

Again, my primary errors are
First being "245 Cant open /scripts/zfs no such file or directory.
"Kernal offset xxxxx from xxxxxxx... Relocation range: xxxxxx-xxxxxx)... Kernel Panic....Not Syncing....".

Last edited:
I reinstalled. However, I'm having a lot of stability issues. Posted a new thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!