2 server cluster - non HA

Mr.Embedded

Jul 8, 2008
Excuse me if these are stupid question.

Is it possible to have a 2 server cluster thats similar to the v1.9 cluster style using 2.0? Or do I need to stay with v1.9 in this case? I have been playing with the clustering on v2.0 using 2 servers and don't really need the HA option with fencing, for now I only want to be able to manage the VMs from a single interface. I have attempted to setup the 2 server HA option with Dell IPMI's and gave up due to time constraints.

The other question I have is if it is possible to completely remove the cluster configuration without reinstalling everything. I was able to uninstall and reinstall some packages that seemed to get me a fresh cluster config but I also lost some of my settings and am having issues with file locking. For standalone installs the v2.0 interface works very well and has some nice added features over v1.9 but I seem to be having all kinds of issues with clustering.

Thats what I thought, that you should be able to cluster without HA.

What I am doing is:

1. Fresh install on both machines
2. Setup bonded network interface
3. Reboot
4. Create cluster on node1
5. Add node 2 to node1 cluster (from node 2)

The cluster is there and I can see the nodes via cli but I end up with one red host node and one green host node in the panel. Which one is which depends on which panel I look at.

Additionally, I lose any NFS mounts,secondary local storage, backup settings, etc that has been configured on each host node prior to cluster setup.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow and see what happens.

Ok I got it going. I think the main issue is working when overtired. Never a good thing. Thanks again.

I think I must have changed the hostname or IP settings after I installed the nodes the first time (or at least the first node) and this was giving all the grief.

A fresh reinstall of both nodes fixed the isssue. Be very careful not to change any hostname or IP settings after creating the cluster. I did however successfully change my network type to a bond (no IP change) and that had no bad impact on cluster creation.

Also you cannot have any running vms on the 2nd cluster machine when adding it. This new 2.0 version has much more robust clustering. You can't easily delete all information and start from scratch so the reinstall is necessary.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!