2.1 vz container iptables failure

tin

Renowned Member
Aug 14, 2010
Northwest NSW, Australia
I've recently upgraded to 2.1 from 1.9 by simply reinstalling clean and importing backups. Everything is working fine, except for one container that uses iptables rules to mangle some packets... This container starts OK, but the iptables rules never get applied because of this:
Code:
trudy:~# iptables -L
iptables v1.4.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
trudy:~#

I edited the vz.conf on the host to have this:
Code:
IPTABLES="iptable_filter iptable_mangle ipt_limit ipt_multiport ipt_tos ipt_TOS ipt_REJECT ipt_TCPMSS ipt_tcpmss ipt_ttl ipt_LOG ipt_length ip_conntrack ip_conntrack_ftp ip_conntrack_irc ipt_conntrack ipt_state ipt_helper iptable_nat ip_nat_ftp ip_nat_irc ipt_REDIRECT xt_mac ipt_owner"
but it still doesn't work

One thing I did notice is that when I tried manually loading the required modules as per the OpenVZ website, I got an error: FATAL: Module xt_tcpudp not found. Is that the issue? Is 2.1 missing this, or is it a case of the documentation at OpenVZ not matching Proxmox?

The only thing I haven't done yet is reboot the host having made that vz.conf change - is that required or does vz.conf get re-read on starting a guest anyway?

No one? Is there at least someone out there that can say it does work for them in 2.1?

EDIT: Never mind - turns out that there was some missing stuff in the container's own config... I guess at some stage in my upgrade process it got edited or somehow mangled.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!