Assistance with raid configuration rs2wc0800

puertorico

Renowned Member
Mar 30, 2014
Hey guys, i have been running proxmox as my main server /firewall for almost a year, without any incident.
but then the sad thing happened, one of my disk died.

System:
Asus p8h77-m Pro - motherboard
i3-2100 cpu
12 gb ram.
4 in 0 pci slot intel nic.
disk in non raid

Now i want something a little more "data Secure" and i went out and ordered some disk to achieve something more secure.
because the software only raid on the motherboard don't work with proxmox. i bought a Intel rs2wc0800 raid controller (the card is based on LSI SAS9240-8i)

But i seems that my motherboard in combination with the newly purchased raid controller also fails.:(

I have tried multiple distros.
debian/ubuntu/proxmox/centos and every time the kernel loads it hangs (Init megasas)
i have also tried to install windows and it works with both arrays. when i install the driver

The weird thing is when i put the raid controller card in a old core2 duo machines, with another motherboard i works like a charm. and boots proxmox installation with both arrays.
i seems to me to be a kernel/motherboard/raid controller issue. I have read about this error and i seems that i am not the first to encounter it. but no one seems to have a solution.

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/16050-MegaRAID-megaproblem

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/17711-Add-driver-of-RS2WC040-to-Proxmox

I Have Tried.

- Changing csm compatibility to regular bios. rather than UEFI
- Disabling the onboard storage controller
- Flashed the firmware to the newest version on both the motherboard and the raidcontroller
- Resetting the bios

Anyone have an idea how to fix this? help would be much appreciated.

This is a big cry for help :D

update. i have also tried the second pci slot. No Luck.
i see the post boot page from where i can configure the array.

update. i have also tried the second pci slot. No Luck.
i see the post boot page from where i can configure the array.

May be this the problem???:

1- If you see this link:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77M_PRO/#specifications
You can see in the "Expansion Slots" part, that say: "1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (blue) *1"
And if you see below of this link the part "*1", you will see that say: "*1: PCIe 3.0 speed is supported by Intel® 3rd generation Core™ processors."

2- If you see this link:
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59133/2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-Processors
You can see that the processor i3-2100 is of 2nd Generation

My Conclusions:
1- May be that you will need a Processors of 3rd generation for that work your Raid Controller
2- As your mainboard is designed for use it as Workstation, many cards of servers don't work in the PCIe slot that are designed for use it with VGA cards.

But, if you find the solution, please post it here.

Best regards
Cesar

If this is the case. why do it work under windows 7 / Server. and not in any linux distro.?

The raid card is only 8x on pci 2.0 I have no problems running with 2 array at all in windows.(i just have to load the driver, before i install the os, to discover the virtual drives)

If this is the case. why do it work under windows 7 / Server. and not in any linux distro.?

The raid card is only 8x on pci 2.0 I have no problems running with 2 array at all in windows.(i just have to load the driver, before i install the os, to discover the virtual drives)

Ok, you're right, excuse me.

I had read in other thread of this forum that with PVE 3.x version is necessary disable the option "EC1" in the BIOS of the motherboard (avoid hang the S.O., and applied in a DELL Server). May be that other options will be necesary also disable (think that your motherboard is designed mainly for modern versions of Windows and not for Linux)

My suggestion is that you read all options of your BIOS and study the implication for use it in a Linux distribution or for PVE in this forum.

If you find the solution, please post here.

Best regards
Cesar

i will do that. but i am thinking of buying another motherboard to get i to work.
i am almost sure that it is something i the linux kernel. but i don't have any experience with kernel and drivers.
so trying fix it is not really an option.

i will do that. but i am thinking of buying another motherboard to get i to work.
i am almost sure that it is something i the linux kernel. but i don't have any experience with kernel and drivers.
so trying fix it is not really an option.

Also think that PVE, CentOS and Scientific Linux have the Kernel of RHEL, then you can use google for ask "Centos LSI <the-brand-and-model-of-your-motherboard>"

Good luck

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!