1.9 - Browser access: Secure Connection Failed

vanDivX

Jun 24, 2010
I installed v1.9 because I didn't like the 2.1 web interface (settings seem to be hidden behind menu or in wizards, strikes as front for more advanced users). I am new to Proxmox and noob to linux to boot.

After installing Proxmox 1.9 I go to https://192.168.1.9 and I get this report from FFox (IE won't load it either)

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.1.9.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

* The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

I could log into Proxmox v 2.1 which used the port 8006 [https://192.168.1.9:8006/]

Is this something quite odd? I tried to search this forum but it looks like this is not common problem.

Google Chrome returns similar error:

SSL connection error

Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): SSL protocol error.

Last edited:
I have reinstalled and still can't log into web interface. Can one still download v1.8 ?? I remember that one didn't have this problem but it is not on download page anymore.

Last edited:
1.8 and 1.9 - both are outdated - use 2.1.

I suppose I will have to go back to 2.1 then.

Version 2.x remainds me of what use to be said in past about programs like MS Office - that it is all there, all controls of everything but most of it is hidden under layers of menus and wizards... probably that is true even today. And I have feeling from your interface you have moved in that direction with v2.x web interface. But that's just an impression I have, not having used previous interface too much either.

Thing is, those older versions may be outdated but there is at least some hand holding support regarding them on some other sites which supply guides for their own VMs running on Proxmox - like PIAF development which provides some guidance for v1.8. And with v2.x they didn't switch to it yet and you guys here are too big experts to bother with us non-experts who have only rudimentary and iffy linux skills at best. And support for Proxmox is generally very rare if you search around on internet due to it being relatively new platform.

Last edited:
I suppose I will have to go back to 2.1 then.

Version 2.x remainds me of what use to be said in past about programs like MS Office - that it is all there, all controls of everything but most of it is hidden under layers of menus and wizards... probably that is true even today. And I have feeling from your interface you have moved in that direction with v2.x web interface.

Thing is, those older versions may be outdated but there is at least some hand holding support regarding them on some other sites which supply guides for their own VMs running on Proxmox - like PIAF development which provides some guidance for v1.8. And with v2.x they didn't switch to it yet and you guys here are too big experts to bother with us non-experts who have only rudimentary and iffy linux skills at best.

If you just start with Proxmox VE it makes no sense to start with the outdated system with no security updates. Of course, 1.9 would run now but we do not recommend this anymore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!