Proxmox installation "Trying to detect country"

Still happening on a fresh install on version 8.1. Got past it by going to a shell (Alt+F3 for me) then killing the traceroute process (kill -9 <pid>).

Reactions: solkku and proxale
First post N00b here

The installer aborted and dumped me to root shell. There was no traceroute running (checked px ax | grep [t]raceroute) returned nothing.

Weirdly, the first attempt to install went fine because despite not detecting a country because the installer failed and duped to the CLI installer which worked fine. This only happened once and able to reproduce it.

Was able to install via the CLI.

i have this error every few years.
today on a DL380p behind a AVM Fritzbox 7530 AX
all on latest firmware.
But the unplugged lan workaround works every time

Hi,

just to give an update: I have just sent out a patch-series, which should fix this issue: https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2024-February/061677.html

Unfortunately - as evidenced by this thread, it is a very peculiar issue and more or less pure luck to reproduce. But all in all, this at least fixes a very weird interaction, which seems to have been the cause of the issue.

I had the same problem in GUI mode, tried Debug mode GUI, evberything is asked, ran smooth

the last week i installed a few new pves
and did not get the problem.
i noticed that i so far exclusively got them on big servers like Dell Power Edge R310 or HP Pro Liont DL380p

maybe it has sth to do with their special hardware?

the last week i installed a few new pves
and did not get the problem.
i noticed that i so far exclusively got them on big servers like Dell Power Edge R310 or HP Pro Liont DL380p

maybe it has sth to do with their special hardware?
I encountered this issue for the first time installing ProxMox on a laptop with DHCP IP. However, this is also the first time I am installing ProxMox on other than server grade hardware.

Didn't have this problem when the network cable was unplugged. The ethernet adapter is a very common Realtek 8111/8168/8411 type.

Last edited:
Still happening on a fresh install on version 8.1. Got past it by going to a shell (Alt+F3 for me) then killing the traceroute process (kill -9 <pid>).
Thanks for this, killing traceroute worked for me.
Strangely, the same traceroute command executed successfully when I switched to tty3 while the original was still stuck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!