how to use device mount points in lcx. in the wiki no commands are mentioned about it. i'm very new to proxmox and want to attach an existing disk to

sskniranjan

May 4, 2023
how to use device mount points in lcx. in the wiki no commands are mentioned about it. i'm very new to proxmox and want to attach an existing disk to LXC without wiping it. Have tried to understand the bind mount point and uid mapping and all ..it seems more technical and confusing. so what are the other options to achieve the objective.

I am sorry to hear that you are confused. I am afraid I cannot recommend other ways of doing this.

What you could do, though, is make new Containers and VMs that you don't need and then try things out with those. That way you don't lose critical data.
Just try things out, read the docs and the forum, watch videos, read manpages etc. Proxmox, and Linux for that matter, are pretty complex pieces of software and it takes a while to become comfortable with it.

Alternatively, it is pretty easy to move and attach disks in VMs, so if you don't need Containers, it might be easier to use VMs in the beginning.

Best of luck :)

the manual talks about device mount points but it fails to provide details on how to achieve that. can you please elaborate onto that

Reactions: panchuz
the manual talks about device mount points but it fails to provide details on how to achieve that
This is not true: Section 11.4.4 of the admin guide [1] tells you how to use mount points, how to create them from the commandline with pct and how to add them into the config files of containers.
can you please elaborate onto that
Here is an old forum post on how to mount disks form other containers [2].

[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#pct_settings
[2]: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/i...ge-to-a-different-container.69717/post-312751

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!