apt install pve-qemu-kvm_8.1.2-4
I recommend a reboot afterwards.
Getting an error:
# apt install pve-qemu-kvm_8.1.2-4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pve-qemu-kvm_8.1.2-4

Just want to report that I have the same issue. When backing up my OPNsense vm cpu load goes to 100%, but doing top inside vm show normal load. Reboot of vm fixes issue, but have disabled planned backups now.

I just posted about that issue.

I'm running PVE 8.1.3. From 4 VM's running, 2 of them were stuck at 50% CPU usage at the same time the backup job started at 3am, however when I check the CPU usage inside the VM nothing stands out and everything seems to be normal.

Cheers,
Xzi.

Hi there,

i was just debugging the same problem, when i thought why don't give the forum a try.
So my findings.

My symptoms:
After a backup via PBS, the higher CPU usage of every KVM (debian, freebsd) stays at the same level after completion of the Backup as it had have while during the Backup. So, before the backup 2% during the backup up to 25% and even after compeltition i am stuck at the 25%. (per KVM)

A Reboot of the KVM or a Migration does solve the problem until the next Backup-Run.

During The Backup: (perf top/PVE NODE)
1702846600206.png

INFO: Finished Backup of VM 106 (00:00:03)
INFO: Backup finished at 2023-12-17 21:55:53
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
INFO: notified via target `mail-to-superwichtig`
TASK OK

And then, after the Backup (perf top/PVE NODE):
1702846777302.png

After Reboot of VM 106 (perf PVE NODE):
1702846893959.png

At the moment i'am unsure if the problem source is vdso (kvm-clock) or is this the side effect of the many qemu-sys-x86 Shared Object which might "hammer" vdso.

1702847187426.png

best regards,
fne

Sorry for the Monolog.

I exchanged the qemu-system-x86_64 binary (Version 8.1.2-5) with the last one (8.1.2-4)

The behaviour is now back to normal - during the backup:
1702848896749.png

After the Backup:
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 106 (00:02:36)
INFO: Backup finished at 2023-12-17 22:35:26
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
INFO: notified via target `mail-to-superwichtig`
TASK OK

1702849040803.png

best regards,
fne

Last edited:
Exactly the samt here, but CPU goes up to 100% on my VMs. So they stuck at 100% but the physical machine cant handle all VMs @ 100%, so its really loud too. I can add, Windows11 VMs also affected.

Reboot solves the issue temporarily. Created a cronjob for a scheduled reboot in the early morning after the backups are finished.

Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/bookworm/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-qemu-kvm_8.1.2-6_amd64.deb
dpkg -i pve-qemu-kvm_8.1.2-6_amd64.deb
reboot

and now OK, i think

Anyone else still experiencing this issue after updating pve-qemu-kvm_8.1.2-6? Once my weekly backups ran, the same CPU usage problems returned. I did reboot after the update to -6.

I had the same problem, but if I change the SCSI Controller from VirtIO SCSI single to VirtIO SCSI, the issue is solved for me.

Package installed: pve-qemu-kvm (8.1.2-5)

Last edited:
I installed the latest version of pve-qemu-kvm (8.1.2-6) and enabled the VirtIO SCSI single controller again and now it works correctly also after backup.
No need to restart the PVE node

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!