zfs / why "/dev/sdX" and not "/dev/disk/by-id/.." ?

Jan 9, 2012
I did a Test Installation with Proxmox-4 on 2x SSD's (Raid-1/Mirror).

"zpool status" shows:
Code:
root@proxmox-test:~# zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdb2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdc2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Why use Proxmox the "/dev/sdX" Identifier and not "/dev/disk/by-id/.." as recommended here http://zfsonlinux.org/faq.html ?

newer zfs uses libblkid, and that always use /dev/sdX (as long as you do not use a cachefile).

This is only with the rootpool. When you add an extrapool, it will show you with diskID. But it does not matter. ID is linked to SDX.

Forgive my ignorance, could you elaborate further? I know that hard disks are identified by something like /dev/sdXY, and that blkid is something like UUID="21f3c0c6-6f00-4ffe-98bf-b7feac3ddb9c", so your statement seems contradictory to me. I mean, if you are using blkid you should not have sdb2, right?
Thanks a lot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!