ZFS updates?

SirMaster

Renowned Member
May 20, 2015
Hi. Forgive me if this is a waste of time question, but maybe a dev has a simple answer :)

I've been using ZFS on Proxmox for awhile now but I used to use the third party archive.zfsonlinux.org repo for my packages since I was using ZFS on Proxmox since before Proxmox started inclding ZFS themselves.

Long story short ZFS is now included in the official debian backports repo and so the archive.zfsonlinux.org repo is no longer going ot be updated.

I tried switching to the backports repo but I found that it conflicted packages a lot so I had to move to Proxmox's ZFS packages.

My question is simply: what is usually the timeframe for ZFS updates for the ZFS packages in the Proxmox repo? 0.6.5.8 has been out for 2 weeks tomorrow. Is ZFS updated when they can? Or do they only update ZFS in Proxmox during a Proxmox point release? Like do we have to wait for Proxmox 4.3 to get a new build of ZFS?

Thanks!

As soon as we got the new packages tested and ready, you will get them as always via our repositories.

Any news on this? I've seen a new kernel released today, but no 0.6.5.8. The list of fixes in 0.6.5.8 is pretty big, so the update can be useful.

Which brings back the question on why do we need it inside PVE. Are there any PVE specific changes that Promox does to the main repository?
I understand that you guys want to provide "stable" packages but that's the purpose of pvetest repository, as far as I know.

The question would be why do we still need it on PVE though cause it was only added to Debian repos in May 2016. That's why it's in PVE in the first place because it didn't used to be in Debian. Also maybe they don't want to add jessie-backports as a required source?

Another difference is Debian uses DKMS and Proxmox uses KMOD. With DKMS ZFS has to recompile itself whenever the kernel is updated.

there will be updated packages for testing soon - our packages were originally based on those by the ZoL project, which are no longer available (for 0.6.5.8), hence the delay. I'll keep you updated once packages reach pvetest.

the "stock" packages from jessie-backports are not really an option at the moment because of DKMS, and because backports needs to be enabled manually.

Reactions: morph027
updated 0.6.5.8 ZFS (and SPL) packages are available in pve-no-subscription

we now use the package names that debian uses, the transition should happen automatically on apt-get dist-upgrade

please report any issues either here or in the bugtracker at bugzilla.proxmox.com

Reactions: morph027

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!