i have a strange Boot Problem:

Mainboard has 2 SATA Controller:

6-SATA-Port (Intel)
-> 2x SSD Proxmox ZFS-Raid-1 (rpool)
-> 2x SSD for a Second ZFS-Raid-1 Pool
-> 2x blank

2-SATA-Port (ASMEDIA)
-> 2x HDD for PCIe-Passthrough

For Installation, i connected only the two SSD's for PVE/rpool.
After Install i connected the other two SSD's an created the second Pool.

After that, i connected the HDD's, but now, the System does not boot.
The Problem is, that now the ASMEDIA Controller is in order before the Intel-Controller.
In "grub.cfg" i saw, that the System want to boot from "hd0,gpt2", but now hd0 is one of the HDD's at the ASMEDIA Controller.

What can i do to solve this (Update-Safe) ??

Oh yes! I know this nice problem. Had the same on some little servers. You musst connect your bootdisk to this controller that is the first for bios. When you don't do this then after you connect some other devices the bootorder has changed in the bios. So connect alway to the first controller and to the sata port 1 and 2. Then it works alway.

The other way is to use the PVE Installer and do not use extra zfspool for vm's or other things. Then you have on every disk grub, so you can boot from every disk, so bootorder is no matter. But becareful when you replace a disk. Copy the GPT table is the easiest way.

I don`t know how grub work exactly but looking at /boot/grub/grub.cfg you can find

Code:
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2  7823871956b33d54
else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 7823871956b33d54
fi

I don`t know where $feature_platform_search_hint come from and when it active but it can be hint to solve your problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!