ZFS pool not completely removed

LineF

Jul 5, 2021
Hello,

I wanted to remove a ZFS pool used as datastore for backups.
With "zpool destroy truenas" I was able to remove the pool.

But now at every restart of the server I get following errors:

Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: Starting Import ZFS pool ZFS\x2ddisk...
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Import ZFS pools by cache file being skipped.
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: Starting Import ZFS pool ZFS\x2dtruenas...
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs zpool[427]: cannot import 'ZFS-truenas': no such pool available
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: zfs-import@ZFS\x2dtruenas.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: zfs-import@ZFS\x2dtruenas.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: Failed to start Import ZFS pool ZFS\x2dtruenas.
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: Started Import ZFS pool ZFS\x2ddisk.
Jul 5 19:52:22 pbs systemd[1]: Reached target ZFS pool import target.

Where is the pool truenas still known? How can I clean up this?

Thanks,
Martin

Hi,
this seems occur even in proxmox VE, why does the service did not become disabled automatically? Is it a known bug?
did you remove the pool via the UI Node > Disks > ZFS > More > Destroy or /nodes/{node}/disks/zfs/{name} API? If you used zpool destroy directly, that has no way of knowing about the systemd service.

Hi,

did you remove the pool via the UI Node > Disks > ZFS > More > Destroy or /nodes/{node}/disks/zfs/{name} API? If you used zpool destroy directly, that has no way of knowing about the systemd service.

I’m not seeing More > Destroy as an option in PBS. What am I missing?

Sorry to revive an old thread but I seem to be having the same problem and I haven't figured out to disable the service for my destroyed pools.

I have 3 destroyed pools that I've remade into a new pool on the same drives.

I removed the pools with zpool destory and then created new ones on the same drive.

Now I still have the old systemd unit failures on boot.

UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION ● zfs-import@[nodename]\x2di\x2dNVME\x2dZFS.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool [nodename]\x2di\x2dNVME\x2dZFS ● zfs-import@[nodename]\x2di\x2dZFS.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool [nodename]\x2di\x2dZFS ● zfs-import@ZFS\x2dSingle.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool ZFS\x2dSingle

The naming for these units seems inconsistent. Some conatin the node name and one doesn't.

I tried to do systemctl disable and it seems to work with no stderr output but on next boot the problem persists.

I'm no expert on systemd but I looked up ways to find a systemd file and i found this.

root@[nodename]:~# systemctl show -P FragmentPath zfs-import@[nodename]\\x2di\\x2dNVME\\x2dZFS.service /lib/systemd/system/zfs-import@.service

So these failed units come from zfs-import@. somehow?

How can I disable/remove these?

Thanks.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I seem to be having the same problem and I haven't figured out to disable the service for my destroyed pools.

I have 3 destroyed pools that I've remade into a new pool on the same drives.

I removed the pools with zpool destory and then created new ones on the same drive.

Now I still have the old systemd unit failures on boot.

UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION ● zfs-import@[nodename]\x2di\x2dNVME\x2dZFS.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool [nodename]\x2di\x2dNVME\x2dZFS ● zfs-import@[nodename]\x2di\x2dZFS.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool [nodename]\x2di\x2dZFS ● zfs-import@ZFS\x2dSingle.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool ZFS\x2dSingle

The naming for these units seems inconsistent. Some conatin the node name and one doesn't.

I tried to do systemctl disable and it seems to work with no stderr output but on next boot the problem persists.

I'm no expert on systemd but I looked up ways to find a systemd file and i found this.

root@[nodename]:~# systemctl show -P FragmentPath zfs-import@[nodename]\\x2di\\x2dNVME\\x2dZFS.service /lib/systemd/system/zfs-import@.service

So these failed units come from zfs-import@. somehow?

How can I disable/remove these?

Thanks.

Have a look in: /etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/

Have a look in: /etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/

That may be what I needed. Thanks.

It looks like this imports a specific pool by name with the %i and it looks like \\x2d is escape for - in the name of the pool.

So if that is the case, one of the units that fail, zfs-import@[nodename]\x2di\x2dZFS.service, is for a pool that I'm still using. It is getting imported on boot since I have VMs running on it and everything is working. How could this systemd unit fail and yet the pool is imported. Should I start a new thread for that one?

root@[nodename]:/etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants# nano zfs-import@[nodename]\\x2di\\x2dZFS.service

[Unit] Description=Import ZFS pool %i Documentation=man:zpool(8) DefaultDependencies=no After=systemd-udev-settle.service After=cryptsetup.target After=multipathd.target Before=zfs-import.target [Service] Type=oneshot RemainAfterExit=yes ExecStart=/sbin/zpool import -N -d /dev/disk/by-id -o cachefile=none %I [Install] WantedBy=zfs-import.target

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!