[SOLVED] zfs-local Does Not Exist

comsono

May 20, 2020
Newbie here, really impressed with Proxmox so far.

I have been using Proxmox for a few days, and so far everything is going really well. I have three nodes in my cluster, and can move workloads around amongst them and so forth. The first two that I setup were using defaults, so there is local-lvm on both. I want to setup a replication schedule, and can't do that without ZFS, so set the third up with ZFS. In the storage section of this one, I don't see local-lvm (makes sense...) but I also don't see local-zfs.

I had thought I could just migrate the VMs from the other two nodes to this machine's local-zfs, then rebuild the first two nodes to boot ZFS. What am I missing? How do I force the creation of local-zfs on my third node?

Just to complete the picture, yes I also have iSCSI shared storage, but I want the VMs to all boot off the local SSD in each host.

Looks like I figured this out. Apparently, I just didn't RTFM enough. A cluster normally would only have one kind of local storage, so I had to tweak the storage.cfg a bit to restrict the local-lvm to only be on nodes that had lvm, and local-zfs to be on the node that had zfs. This post pushed me in the right direction. Hope this helps someone else.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/cluster-with-both-zfs-and-lvm.50399/

Thanks for coming back and sharing your findings and solution!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!