zfs , live migration and performance considerations.

acidrop

Renowned Member
Jul 17, 2012
I have a proxmox host with 4x1Tb hdds in ZFS striped mirror setup and all vms are located on a dataset.
Now I am thinking to add another proxmox host with the same hardware config and zfs as backend storage.
I would like to test also live migration between these two nodes.So I am thinking of two possible scenarios:

1. zfs -> zvols -> drbd (for replication between nodes) -> lvm

and

2. zfs -> separate zfs datasets for each vm -> glusterfs (for vm replication between nodes)

Both scenarios should work.I was wondering if anyone has tested such setup and which of those has the better i/o performance

If I understand you correct you have all VMs storage on the proxmox host?

Generally adding layers between ZFS and disks is not recommended since this voids your performance and security given by ZFS.

If I understand you correct you have all VMs storage on the proxmox host?

Generally adding layers between ZFS and disks is not recommended since this voids your performance and security given by ZFS.

Yes, currently all vms reside inside a zfs dataset on a Proxmox host.
The reason I want to use the additional layers (drbd or glusterfs) above zfs, is to test live migration between 2 nodes.

I have no experience with glusterfs but I should think ZFS should be put on top of DRBD. I would strongly recommend not to do this since performance will be horrible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!