ZFS is using a lot of memory

DanielRouleau

Nov 4, 2020
Good day, I'm not 100% sure how to fix this
I have install proxmoxVE on ZFS (2 x 1TB SSD in RAID1) with Proxmox installation CD, it installed grub in legacy/BIOS
Currently on version 6.3.6
I have 5 machine in cluster with 2 Machine with 64G RAM and the 3 other with 24
for example on Machine 1 I have 5 VM with 30 Gig of RAM allocated total (VM1=2G, VM2= 12G, VM3=4G VM4=10G and VM5=2G)
I have noting else on that machine except the host running
But when I look on the HOST summary RAM usage is always at 90% + (58 Gig of RAM) (CPU is very minimal, and total space is very low too with 1 ZFS rppol that is only used at 50%)
All my host are pretty mush always runnig at 90% RAM usage and what I have as Memory allocated to each the VM will not go over 50%

The problem I have is if I tryed to migrate VM form one host to the other I end UP making some other VM to failed or services stop I do see a lot of IO during migration process

And also that I cannot have more VM then about 50% of available memory
Thank you for any idear

thank for the referal
since this file is non existing /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf
is it safe to just created with just this content
options zfs zfs_arc_max=8589934592

Yeah, it is safe to create that file, then run the update-initramfs -u command, the change will then be applied automatically on next boot.

Note the number you posted from the config is for 8 GiB if you need more or less adapt it!

Reactions: DanielRouleau

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!