ZFS for OMV on a storage VM

dr.dad

Jun 11, 2020
Hey all long time lurcker, 1st time poster here.

I have setup proxmox 6.2-4 with an OMV VM but I don't feel like I have the expreience to really commit to a way to pass HDDs to the VM. I'm not sure i even fully grasp the process of passthrough (IOMMU is quite confusing and there's really no good guides that i found that explain it)

my hardware topology looks like this; Das > HBA (9201-16e) > r710
on the software side im passing the individual hard drives by-id to the OMV vm

ill be migrating the OMV vm to a r720xd with 12 bays with a h710 mini mono with IT firmware so the server will have 2 HBAs, 12 drives from the DAS and 12 from its own backplane...

my question is if there is any benefit just passing the HBAs via pci passthrough to the VM, i found it a pretty big pain to assign drives one at a time. The server will have to have a GPU passthrough for a plex lxc anyhow, so thats my plan and im not really sure how to move forward aside from just throwing stuff at it and seeing if it will work. any advice would be much appreciated.

-s

Hi,

the performance is better if you passthrough the HBA. And you can control the disk direct in OMV.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!