Zabbix: Too many processes on PVE node

ZS-Man

Renowned Member
Oct 18, 2013
Hi,
I have Zabbix for PVE monitoring, and still recieve messages "Too many processes on PVE node"
Default value in Zabbix templeate is 300, but this seems too small for Proxmox?

How much proccess is normal in PVE? Or how much is "critical" in PVE enviroment? Is there any optimal value for setting in Zabbix? Or better disble monitoring number of proccess?

Thanks, ZS-Man

Depends all on, what you want to run on your PVE. KVM is one process, while with lxc you use the cgroups in the host kernel, so every started container adds its processes to the system. I think, it might be better to check for sudden decrease and increase of processes, then to find out what is the exact top limit.

Raise the trigger threshold, for PVE it's way too low. When using OVZ or LXC and dozens of containers, it's normal to have 5-600 processes or more, nothing out of the ordinary. But checking for other issues never hurts.

I am using only KVM. Now I get about 340 - 380 processes.
So for now raise the trigger threshold to 400.

Thanks.

We have about 10 VMs per host, with ZFS for os and seperate volume for VMs, the two hosts clustered together for live migrations, and we run 600-700.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!