Yum on container reporting insufficient free space

carlosmp

Renowned Member
Jun 2, 2010
Hi,

We recently started having some issues when creating new templates and attempting to yum update. We normally take a clean template from http://openvz.org/Download/template/precreated and setup a lamp stack with some custom stuff. Yum appears to work correctly and gets everything we need installed. However, after rebooting the template, and attempting to install other packages, etc. we get the following:

Code:
Transaction Summary
========================================================
Install     125 Package(s)

Total size: 59 M
Installed size: 228 M
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
  installing package gtk2-devel-2.18.9-12.el6.i686 needs 69MB on the / filesystem
  installing package libXft-devel-2.3.1-2.el6.i686 needs 75MB on the / filesystem
  installing package libXt-1.1.3-1.el6.i686 needs 81MB on the / filesystem
  installing package slang-devel-2.2.1-1.el6.i686 needs 90MB on the / filesystem
 installing package git-1.7.1-3.el6_4.1.i686 needs 7053MB on the / filesystem
  installing package gtk-doc-1.11-5.1.el6.noarch needs 7109MB on the / filesystem
  installing package libXext-devel-1.3.1-2.el6.i686 needs 7192MB on the / filesystem
  installing package mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.5r1144-7.el6.i686 needs 7200MB on the / filesystem

Error Summary-------------
Disk Requirements:
  At least 7200MB more space needed on the / filesystem.

df -H shows plenty of free space:
Code:
Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs              18G   954M    17G   6% /
none                   269M   4.1k   269M   1% /dev
none                   269M      0   269M   0% /dev/shm

We setup the containers with an 8GB drive, which is typically more than enough. I'm not sure why, but once we "upgrade" the disk to 32gb, the error seems to go away. If you look at the yum details, lie gtk2-devel says it's 2.4M download, but the summary says it needs 69MB on system (ok, that's plausible), but as the list goes on, it seems to be getting additive, as by the time mysql-connector-odbc gets listed at 116k (package size), it's reporting it needs 7200MB...

Once yum update is done, we can reduce the disk size, but I don't want to have these issues in the future...

TIA,

Carlos.

strange, ask also the maintainer of the template.

I had this issue as well. What I did was install each dependency that resulted in an error. After installing individually. I could install the main .rpm without the size issue. It was only done dependency that resulted in this error, but it changes each test, so wasn't reproducible. It did not go away for me, even if I have the container 1TB

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!