Work on ATI HD 3300 on KVM?

fever_wits

Renowned Member
Sep 13, 2009
Bulgaria
vm.hgs.name
On the computer it is installed on a PVE Video controller ATI HD 3300 I want to redirect to a virtual machine with Windows XP SP3.

I searched the Internet and found some things, but obviously something wrong or not working, or this idea.
I did the following:

proxmox: ~ # lspci-v | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Then I added the following lines in the conf file to the virtual machine:

#device_add pci-assign, host = 01:05.0, id = GPU0
#args:pcidevice host = 01:05.0
hostpci: 01:05.0

But not once.

Has anyone tried this and can you share how you do

Sorry for my bad English.
Greetings: A.Hristov

On the computer it is installed on a PVE Video controller ATI HD 3300 I want to redirect to a virtual machine with Windows XP SP3.

I searched the Internet and found some things, but obviously something wrong or not working, or this idea.
I did the following:

proxmox: ~ # lspci-v | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Then I added the following lines in the conf file to the virtual machine:

#device_add pci-assign, host = 01:05.0, id = GPU0
#args:pcidevice host = 01:05.0
hostpci: 01:05.0

But not once.

Has anyone tried this and can you share how you do

Sorry for my bad English.
Greetings: A.Hristov
Hi,
you can only use pci pass trough for devices, which aren't used on the host (no driver loaded for the card).
In your case the graphic card will be used by the host!
Perhaps you have luck, if you have an internal grafic card, which you can use instead (and blacklist the module for your HD3300?).

Udo

My server model is: Asus M3A78-T
Data for VGA:
Integrated ATI Radeon ™ HD 3300 GPU
SidePort Memory - onboard 128MB DDR3 1333 memory
Supports HDMI ™ Technology with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 (1080P)
Supports Dual-link DVI with max. resolution up to 2560x1600 @ 60Hz
Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2560x1440 @ 75Hz
Hybrid CrossFireX ™ Support (For Windows Vista only)
HDMI / DVI / RGB Support
Supports Microsoft ® DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.0, Pixel Shader 4.0
Maximum shared memory of 512MB

As far as I understand there must be another VGA so I can use that, right?

As far as I understand there must be another VGA so I can use that, right?
if you want to use the console simultaneously you need a second vga card. Otherwise when passing the device through your console would go blank...in theory. As far as i know there was no one successfull of passing vga card through with pve.

i recently tried with 2.2 but the only thing i get is a yelow rectangle in windows device-manager with code 43. either ati 4850 or nvidia gtx660

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/11573-2-2-VGA-PCI-Passthrough

it looks like xen is the actual no.1 for passing vga through. Ati is more promising. Nvidia needs more manual patching.
vmware is also working but i have not looked into either one, i would like it to work with proxmox... but nobody answered my thread

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!