Wipe and fresh install of 5.1 - Filesystem and drive config

Dolomike

Dec 13, 2014
I've been a big Linux user for a long time and Proxmox for the past couple of years but I just haven't been keeping up on the various filesystems so I'm in need of some suggestions on how I should proceed with a fresh install. I've just received a bunch of new drives so not sure what the best course of action is with filesystems and RAID and my drive configuration.

I have two HP DL380 G7 servers, both running the 410i RAID cards. I have two Micro M500IT 120GB SSD's, two 3TB WD RED's, and a variety of other 2.5" SAS drives and consumer SSD's for storage.

HA is not a requirement
It will be a two node cluster with a 3rd node just for quorum
The ability to move VM's from one host to the other as necessary
Additional external drives used for backups
Will add more drives for storage over the next few months
Could buy LSI card to replace 410i if necessary
Variety of VM's (databases, SVN, Spacewalk, web servers etc) and one KVM for Windows.

Suggestions?

Thx

I've been a big Linux user for a long time and Proxmox for the past couple of years but I just haven't been keeping up on the various filesystems so I'm in need of some suggestions on how I should proceed with a fresh install. I've just received a bunch of new drives so not sure what the best course of action is with filesystems and RAID and my drive configuration.

I have two HP DL380 G7 servers, both running the 410i RAID cards. I have two Micro M500IT 120GB SSD's, two 3TB WD RED's, and a variety of other 2.5" SAS drives and consumer SSD's for storage.

HA is not a requirement
It will be a two node cluster with a 3rd node just for quorum
The ability to move VM's from one host to the other as necessary

Shared storage would be an advantage. Otherwise moving VMs will be only possible when the VM is powered off.

Additional external drives used for backups
Will add more drives for storage over the next few months
Could buy LSI card to replace 410i if necessary
Variety of VM's (databases, SVN, Spacewalk, web servers etc) and one KVM for Windows.

Usually we recommend for shared storage located in Promox host themselves Ceph - but Ceph requests at leadt 3 nodes; consider to use the "Quorum"-node as storage node too.

Shared storage would be an advantage. Otherwise moving VMs will be only possible when the VM is powered off.

The plan is to move to shared storage but that's still a few months away. For now the downtime if VM's need to move, downtown is acceptable.

Usually we recommend for shared storage located in Promox host themselves Ceph - but Ceph requests at leadt 3 nodes; consider to use the "Quorum"-node as storage node too.

Unfortunately I don't have a 3rd node that's setup for storage so moving to Ceph won't happen right now. I'll have to revisit this when the shared storage will be implemented. For now it's running hardware RAID with various LVM pools.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!