[SOLVED] Windows Server - Can't format drives

soapee01

Sep 7, 2016
Proxmox 4.2-17 (on debian jessie)
I've manually added an mdadm raid1 array for additional storage (md1 in proxmox). I've also got a single hard drive (bak in proxmox).

I can only get two virtio drives to work in win2k12r2. The first is the primary drive (c:\ LVM), and the 2nd is on the drive labeled bak (used for windows backups).

2lcp5bs.jpg

Here's what I see in windows:
idfwgp.jpg

And the disk partitioner (right click a drive, select New Volume) won't show any of the drives. I've re-added, deleted, re-initialized, etc.
n683cz.jpg

I've even formatted with diskpart.exe. This will work, but does not survive a reboot.

Anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

[edit] I did add the latest virtio drivers. I originally used the stable ones at installation. Until I upgraded the drivers I could not add a 2nd hard drive, which is used for windows server backup.

Hi,

I tried it with the computer manage mmc and it worked,
but you have to update the view manually before all disk are available to format.

wolfgang: I did update the view (Tasks-> rescan storage, and Refresh), as well as hitting the buttons in the new volume wizard. They still do not show. This is weird.

I found the answer. I hope this helps somebody...

virtio1 (bak:101/vm-101-disk2.qcow2,size=500G) Was the first drive I added after the C:\ Drive. I did this on both machines. In order to get those to read, I had to upgrade the virtio drivers from stable to latest.

These virtual disks are dedicated for Windows Server Backups, and the backups had been configured.

Workaround: Delete all hard drives except virtio0 (the C:\ drive). Add the 800GB drive (a data drive), and format as you would expect. Then add a 500GB drive for windows server backups.

This works, but I don't know why....

EDIT: Windows Server Backup could not format the 500GB drive when the option "Back up to a hard disk that is dedicated for backups (recommended)" was selected. I could format the drive with an NTFS partition, assign it a drive letter, and select the "Back up to a volume" option instead.

Last edited:
Had this come up again, and found a better solution.

If you open the disk management tool in windows server (instead of the server manager) you can create new volumes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!