Windows server 2016 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA PROCEXP141.SYS failed

Frigg

Sep 4, 2016
Hello,

I sometimes, but quite often, have this blue screen with stop code PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with PROCEXP141.SYS failed, starting a Windows 2016 server VM.
I have tried to run these vm on another server, and have the same problem.

What can I do ?
Thank you for any help,

Hervé

IMG_20200822_175145_resized_20200822_060806281.jpg

Hi!

Did you check out:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...r/bug-check-0x50--page-fault-in-nonpaged-area

It seems that this could be caused by various underlying issues, possible NTFS issues on the disk.

I'd work through that page, ensure you have all available BIOS updates on the host installed.

I have tried to run these vm on another server, and have the same problem.

How similar is that server to this one?

Are other Windows VMs also affected, or is that the only one?

Could you please also post the VM config? qm config VMID

Hello Thomas,
Thank you for helping.
Here is the detailed issue in windows.
It is a Kernel Power issue.
But these VM previously stopped smoothly.

-System

-Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID41

Version4

Level1

Task63

Opcode0

Keywords0x8000400000000002

-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2020-08-22T15:53:09.103677900Z

EventRecordID581404

Correlation

-Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

ChannelSystem

ComputerW2016-FR.fr.local

-Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18

-EventData

BugcheckCode80

BugcheckParameter10xffffffff00000010

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30xfffff8026ab5102b

BugcheckParameter40x2

SleepInProgress0

PowerButtonTimestamp0

BootAppStatus0

Checkpoint0

ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0

Servers used to run these VM are really différents. Only the type of HDD are the same: Samsung evo 970.

I only run one VM so I can't tell if other windows VM's could be affected in the same way.

Here is the MV config:
1598135050226.png

... I also have blue screen with stopcode APC INDEX MiSMATCH

So I've update all Virtio drivers, and it seems to have fixed the issues.

I've also performed a sfc /scannow to repaire eventual dammaged files system.

It would be great if virtio drivers could be maintained updated automatically: I knew for a long date that there were something wrong reading event logs, but it was by chance while launching a console when starting the machine, that I discovered what was happening.
Updating drivers is something that we do not necessarily think about, because it is done automatically in Windows.

... I was too quicky enthusiastic. Still have the issue.
When upgrading the virtio drivers, do I have to reinstall the Quemu agent and Balloon service ? If yes how to proceed ? Do I have to unsinstall previous services andn how ?

Hmm, did you update the QXL drivers as well? Try the latest version from the Spice website directly.

https://www.spice-space.org/download.html Windows Guest tools

If you use the latest virtio iso and run the "virtio-win-gt-x64" installer it should update the drivers and agents to the latest version. AFAIK you don't need to manually remove or uninstall previous versions of the services.

Thank you Aaron,

I didn't even knew it was possible to proceed like this !
I read consciensfully the documentation, and made manual update from the device manager...

Just to make sure, following your advice, I've installed this:

1598291718212.png

Unfortunately, after the first reeboot, I have the same Kernel-power issue.
According to event properties it occures when " The system restarted without shutting down properly first. This error can occur if the system becomes unresponsive, hangs, or loses power unexpectedly. "

BUT I WAS WATCHING THE SHUTTING DOWN ON A CONSOLE AND DIDN'T NOTE ANYTHING but THAT IT WAS SHORT. Is there a way to make sure that the PVE really wait windows proper shutting before stoping power's VM or whatever ?

Any idea ?

Best regards

Last edited:
Hello,
I have analyzed dump files with windows Xindbg tools.
It says that For PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, it is invalid system memory referenced.
Does someon could tell me what I can do to fix this issue ?

You'll find below the report
1598705374519.png

Thanks for helping

Well well well,

I have tested memories with windows Vm's tools, and PVE memtest86+. It is OK.

You've asked if all Vm were affected.
I've sat up an windows 10 VM, and surprise, surprise, it has the same critical event.

I' have followed windows recommandations without any positive résult
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...r/bug-check-0x50--page-fault-in-nonpaged-area

The cause may be found reading vmware's KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2138677

"This issue occurs when there is heavy memory allocation and deallocation jobs in the Windows guest. It causes stress for vmmemctl.sys resulting in a blue diagnostic screen.
When the vmmemctl driver is claiming memory to save it to the hypervisor, it attempts to lock pages in the guest. If the lock failure occurs number of times and reaches a limit, it causes an overflow error and a blue diagnostic screen."

As it affects all windows VM"s, and RAM are OK on both servers, could it be a kvm issue under Proxmox ?
Could it be because of the VM's Bios : SeaBios instead of OVMF in order to use UEFI at boot start ?
Should I had chosen OVMF bios with Sata disks instead of SCSi ?...

I really need help.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This issue was a Windows one. Nothing to do with Proxmox.
For thoses who may be interested, PROCEXP141.SYS is a driver related to an old verson of procexp.exe edeted by Systinternals, that is related to Microsoft.
The solution was just to update the procexp.exe and some other files related to a third part programm.

By the way, Process explorer is a very useful tool to monitor Windows and even track viruses. You can find it here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

To untangle the problem, it was necessary to use WinDbg, which is part of Windows Kits. To use it, this video was useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsZafL2-hWU

Reactions: t.lamprecht

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!