Windows Server 2012 QXL driver?

linum

Renowned Member
Sep 25, 2011
I followed the instructions on http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2012_guest_best_practices and http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/SPICE#Windows_2008.2C_2008r2.2C_and_2012. But I wonder if there is something wrong/missing as there is no QXL driver for windows server 2012 yet. So I think the sentence

The qxl.sys driver must be installed from the drivers folder using pnputil -i -a qxl.inf from a cmd terminal. Remember this cmd terminal must be run as root.

must be prefixed with something like: "Please note there is no QXL driver available for Windows Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2 yet.". Or did I miss something?

I read the second link and it says:

"No digitally signed drivers packages public available
For those with access to rhn.redhat.com a rpm package is available with virtio-win-1.6.7. All drivers are signed by Redhat so they install without any problems. The qxl.sys driver must be installed from the drivers folder using pnputil -i -a qxl.inf from a cmd terminal. Remember this cmd terminal must be run as root. "

What is it no clear about those drivers availability? Or am I missing something?

Marco

I read the second link and it says:

"No digitally signed drivers packages public available
For those with access to rhn.redhat.com a rpm package is available with virtio-win-1.6.7. All drivers are signed by Redhat so they install without any problems. The qxl.sys driver must be installed from the drivers folder using pnputil -i -a qxl.inf from a cmd terminal. Remember this cmd terminal must be run as root. "

What is it no clear about those drivers availability? Or am I missing something?

Marco

I've got a virtio-win-1.6.7-2.el6.noarch.rpm and there are no qlx drivers in it. Please, write a correct rpm file name or md5sum, if I miss it.
Last thing that I found about qlx drivers is this. I can simply change screen resolution in win2k12 r2 but mouse works very strange (it moves very fast from corners of screen as you have only four discrete points for mouse pointer), it's very hard to work with this issue. Also there's a bug, which is not fixed. I wrote to Vadim Rozenfeld about issue, and I am waiting for his answer.
So if I'm right, please, fix wiki.

Last edited:
that QXL driver link is primarily for Windows 8(.1) I've installed it on both x86 & x64 Win8 VM's and it seems to work OK. however the agents (spice) dont install to you cant resize the window and the mouse is not seamless. I havent tried it on a server 2012 VM yet. I seem to recall spotting a thread discussing this that mentioned Red Hat were making it a priority to release a QXL-WDDM driver with the RHEL7.1 release, but we will have to wait and see.

Last thing that I found about qlx drivers is this. I can simply change screen resolution in win2k12 r2 but mouse works very strange (it moves very fast from corners of screen as you have only four discrete points for mouse pointer), it's very hard to work with this issue. Also there's a bug, which is not fixed. I wrote to Vadim Rozenfeld about issue, and I am waiting for his answer.

I've retested this issue and seems to be it's not a qxlwddm driver problem, it's a problem of win7 vm with remote-viewer 0.6.0 (hosted using virtualbox) from I try to get access to win2k12r2 vm (hosted using proxmox).While using real machine instead of hosted using virtualbox there's no such problem detected.

So I can approve that Vadim Rozenfeld's driver works with win2k12r2.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!