Windows KVM defrag on shared storage?

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
I run mostly windows KVMs on my proxmox cluster all from a SAN (MD3200i) - is it worth running regular defrags on these KVMs as they are really all loaded up from 6 disks in the SAN anyway? Surely the data pattern on the virtual disk once its been separated across a RAID array and then a virtual disk, would already be fragmented accross the array/physical disks?

Physical Disks <--> RAID ARRAY <--> Virtual Disk <--> KVM Disk <--> Windows

Also would running something like diskkeeper (constant disk defrag) cause any issues with running KVMs - i expect having several copies running across our P2V converted machines wouldnt help (am trying to improve the disk performance as best as i can)

We recently moved from a ReadyNAS 2100 to a MD3200i - massive improvement anyway but just seeing if there is anything else i can do to squeeze any more performance - am running all servers in IDE with writeback enabled and getting over 550MB/s reads/writes.

Lost a server (thank goodness for backups ;)) after trying virtio using the .52 drivers (we're running mainly W2003 atm - slowly replacing them with 2008 R2 boxes) so not to happy about trying virtio again - athough saying that i have a couple of boxes using an older version (.49) and they're working fine in my test cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!