[SOLVED] Windows IP Allocation From Cloud Init

SmartyHosting

Sep 27, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm trying to allocate IP Addresses using Cloud Init.

So here is what I have done:

Using Proxmox VE 6
Installed Windows 2016 as a VM
Setup everything how I want, i.e enable remote desktop
Installed Cloudbase Init with logging on serial port
Let it shutdown
Added config drive for cloud init

Created a template from this

Using a plugin for WHMCS it creates a new VM from the template, and assigns the network adapter vmbr0 the right mac address
Then it sets the cloud init with the new IP and gateway

VM starts, asks for new password, and the IP settings are not updated to the one specified in cloud init?

The log is attached. If anyone has a solution, or idea why it's not working I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Attachments

• cloudinit debug.txt
    73.3 KB · Views: 18
One question, have you added the Cloud-init drive mapped to your virtual machine ?

Also check if you are running virtio driver for network.

Hi Egner, yes I did add the drive and I was running the E1000 network adapter.

So I found out the problem was from not having qemu enabled on the VM from Proxmox and running inside the Windows VM too. I don't know if this is a cloudbase init solution or just from the WHMCS plugin I was using (Modulesgarden Proxmox VPS) but it is working after I enabled that in the template, thank you. Hopefully this helps someone else in future.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!