Windows 7 Install Error

Noah Halstead

Apr 16, 2017
When I tried to install Windows 7 the Drive does not show up.
I have tried to convert the harddrive to mbr and clean it to see if it worked.
I also have loaded the VertIO ISO Drivers and the Driver was detected but the drive still did not show up.

KVM Virtualization is Enabled.
The SCSI Controller is VertIO SCSI.
The BIOS is SeaBIOS.
ACPI Support: Yes
1GB RAM
1 Socket, 1 Core
VertIO 120GB HDD Attached.

I have tried to Clone a Complete install of a W7 Box from another Machine and It cloned but Windows 7 does not boot. I get an error of 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009AE92R... [Clipped], the Message says to do CHKDSK /F to check for harddrive corruption and then restart your computer.

I am not sure what is going wrong with this install but I have Linux installed on many ofther VMs with no Issues.

Kernel Version: Linux 4.4.35-1-pve #1 SMP Fri Dec 9 11:09:55 CET 2016
PVE Manager Version: pve-manager/4.4-1/eb2d6f1e

I also cannot install Windows Server 2012r2.

Any information can help.

When I install Windows on qemu, usually
- set the disk as SATA first
- do all the installation process
- poweroff VM
- add a little (1GB) disk with scsi and virtio-scsi controller
- start windows VM
- install all virtio drivers (virtio scsi driver)
- just to be sure in disk management from windows check if the new disk is recognized
- poweroff windows VM
- remove disk and reattach as scsi
- change boot device from sata0 to scsi0

usually it works, even with cloned installations, in that case use IDE or SATA just like the physical hardware

When I goto do the install the SATA Hard drive does not show up. Even after I clean the Drive and convert it to mbr.
I get hung at the Select the Driver for the hard drive. The disk is detected when I go into Diskpart but other then that I am stuck at that part.
I also get the same results in Windows Server 2012R2 during the install.

you can follow this howto for Win 2016, but its just the same for win 7

Have you tried as I said? Don't usa virtio disk during windows install, use SATA.

Yes, I have Tried SCSI, VertIO, IDE, and SATA on 2 different Windows OS Versions (Windows 7 and Windows Server) and I still have the same results.

That's very strange, Windows can recognize sata disks without custom drivers. Did you try if the ISO you are using to install windows, can install on a physical pc?

Maybe your windows ISO install images are damaged.

Check the uploaded ISO (e.g compare md5sums).

FYI
I had the problem, that the virtiostor driver was not recognised.
The solution was to install the english version of WIN 7 not the german one.

FYI
I had the problem, that the virtiostor driver was not recognised.
The solution was to install the english version of WIN 7 not the german one.

this does not make any difference, (most times the downloaded ISO is damaged.)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!