Windows 7 Dont boot

ixnet

Jan 23, 2012
Hi first sorry for my bad english :)

Ok i running a Proxmox VE 2.0Beta 3 on a clone pc (Q6600 Pross and 6 GB ddr2 memory and 1 TB HD, P5B Motherboard) I installed yesturday a (Legit) windows 7 with QEMU (isnt the first time i have done this) and i install it i do update, activate windows reboot serval time and all work very well. Before i go sleep i shutdown KVM windows 7 using Console to shut it down proprely and then i go sleep and when i woke the next day i restarted proxmox box and tried to restart windows 7. KVM turn on but windows dont bot when i look on console ist only a blacscreen with a blinking cursor so i tried to restart it few time ... nothing and he only use 23 MB of ram out of 2048 MB. It did the same thing with 32 bits or 64 windows ... i dont understand. I also get some error when i try to upload openvz CT template it work 2/3 times. Can someone help me ?

I have a same problem,
i tried ide and virtio, but without change. After installation, can not boot. only black screen and blinking cursor

Screen:
win7.png

Last edited:
If i only do windows update and restart it will work but if i shutdown proxmox and a try to restart my win7 kvm after it wont boot anymore

I had a similar problem a long time ago, with win2003 install, with virtio install.

When you install, do you have set cdrom as boot disk ?
then when install is finished, put your virtio disk as boot disk ?

because, it can change pci slot or drive order, and windows doesn't see them in good order.

maybe you can try this.

put a blank disk, on virtio0
put your win cdrom on ide1 and virtio drivers on ide2.

the start you vm for install with boot set on virtio0

(so it will try to boot on virtio0, then on cdrom (as virtio0 is blank,it'll try to boot on next device), so order will not change on reboot).

hope It can help.

(another method is to install on ide, and install virtio drivers after).

Hope It can help.

put cdrom install on ide2
pu

Reactions: cfachmi
I had a similar problem a long time ago, with win2003 install, with virtio install.

When you install, do you have set cdrom as boot disk ?
then when install is finished, put your virtio disk as boot disk ?

because, it can change pci slot or drive order, and windows doesn't see them in good order.

maybe you can try this.

put a blank disk, on virtio0
put your win cdrom on ide1 and virtio drivers on ide2.

the start you vm for install with boot set on virtio0

(so it will try to boot on virtio0, then on cdrom (as virtio0 is blank,it'll try to boot on next device), so order will not change on reboot).

hope It can help.

(another method is to install on ide, and install virtio drivers after).

Hope It can help.

put cdrom install on ide2
pu
This was really helpful. Thank you very much!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!