SystemEngineer

Mar 17, 2019
Created a new VM with Windows 2012 R2. All Windows Update up to date as of March 2019.

Made a full clone of the VM (Clone #1) and started the clone no problem.

I sysprep'd the clone: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown

Sysprep was successful and shutsdown.

I made another full clone of it (Clone #2). Snapshot it just in case. I started the Clone #2, starts no problem and goes through the initial OOBE. I turned Clone #2 off, reverted back to previous state, and deleted the snapshot.

I converted Clone #2 to a template.

I clone with link from Clone #2 template and it complains about "KVM virtualization configured but not available". I turned off the KVM virtualization. Tried again. Then it says "Error: Failed to run vncproxy."

The problem seems to persist only for Windows 2012 R2 vm. But not for Windows 2016.

I need to have Windows 2012 R2 vm because of Exchange Server 2013.

Hopefully someone can help.

Found the problem. For some reason, the processor on the HP BL465c Gen 5 ones, all of their CPU had the AMD Virtualization option disabled by default. Enabled it and it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!